Close

Default Talkback using computer's microphone

Greetings.

Has anyone experimented with using the microphone input on a host or remote computer as a talkback mic? This would be particularly helpful for our roving remote mixer notebook computer. (I know that we could use a wireless headset system and patch it into SAC multiple ways.) A related question - anyone ever used the computer headphone output as a monitor/solo destination?

Thanx.
    ---Ritch

Default Re: Talkback using computer's microphone

There are some VST plugs that can transfer audio over the network. IIRC some testing with them was done some time ago with the result being that they have too much audio latency to be useful and tend not to be very stable.
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

Greetings.

Thanks. Something to think about. We are considering a separate wireless intercom setup, as well as a LAN-based intercom (developed for gaming). The ideal solution would use what the remote PC already provides. It seems as thought there's been a good amount of effort toward this goal for mixing, recording and general audio work on the computer but thus far I've not been able to find a workable solution for us.
    Thanx.
    ---Ritch

Quote Originally Posted by Ritch G View Post
    Greetings.

Thanks. Something to think about. We are considering a separate wireless intercom setup, as well as a LAN-based intercom (developed for gaming). The ideal solution would use what the remote PC already provides. It seems as thought there's been a good amount of effort toward this goal for mixing, recording and general audio work on the computer but thus far I've not been able to find a workable solution for us.
    Thanx.
    ---Ritch
    My recommendation would be to just run another piece (or 2) of CAT5 out to the FOH position. Use the second one with one of those boxes that give you 4 channels of XLR lines on a piece of CAT5. (basically it's just a fancy adapter) Use that for a talkback mic, engineer's cans, etc...

That is what I would do anyway if I was working gigs where I had to set up and tear down every night.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Well, I use just a 4 pair Snake on a small drum.

Tomy
    3 * TIO1608 + AIC-128 + X-Touch + Dante -> AES + DADC-144DT

SATlive is my measurement software
    DIN 15905-5 (German SPL Limit)