Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default OT: VOIP interfacing for recorded 'radio' show

Right now, we're using the host and caller audio available at the headset jack (RJ-9) of the IP phone through some isolation transformers into and out of a small mixer. Actually it works really well, EXCEPT that one in five or so calls manifests a problem whereby the host comes out of the mixer sounding muddy and noisy, while the caller sounds fine. My guess is that there's something akin (in the POTS world) to a bad null that's letting host audio come back in on the caller signal. We're doing a proper mix-minus out of the mixer, BTW.

Anyway... is their a proper way to handle VOIP phone interfacing for 'radio' (this is actually an Internet radio/podcast talk show). Is there a special IP phone hybrid for such an application? I tried a standard POTS type hybrid and it didn't work.

Not trying to be a jerk, but anyone with actual knowledge preferred. I've had enough of (me and other) old school guys guessing at how to solve this. That said, I guess I'm open to anything at this point. So ignore that last comment.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Default Re: OT: VOIP interfacing for recorded 'radio' show

Sounds like a bad null for sure. VOIP can be unpredictable in this area. I've found that, ever since telephony went completely digital, you're often at the mercy of whatever they send you, whether voice or data, when it comes to this stuff.

There are VOIP specific hybrid interfaces, but they're expensive. Not sure what your budget is. Telos Systems makes a few. I've never used them, but I have used their standard POTS units with great results. I suggest you call them and leave a message for Ted in tech support. He's been in the business for over 40 years and really knows his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Not trying to be a jerk,
    What a jerk! I can't add to what Curt said. I always ask for Ted at Telos. He's likely to shed some light on your problem even if you don't buy a box.
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Thanks, guys. Well, no one at Telos seems to know what to do with the name 'Ted'. Would you have a last name? Thanks!
    Becket, Massachusetts

Ted Alexander ... Hmm, any relation to Ian?
    Anyway, you might have to call the help line (216) 622-0247.
    This line may be specifically to those who have their equipment.
    You can also contact them at: support@telosalliance.com.

G'Luck.
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    Ted Alexander ... Hmm, any relation to Ian?
    Anyway, you might have to call the help line (216) 622-0247.
    This line may be specifically to those who have their equipment.
    You can also contact them at: support@telosalliance.com.

G'Luck.
    OMIGOD. I called the wrong Telos (shoulda just used the number you gave me) and spent a very unpleasant five minutes figuring that out with a woman who has no business representing any company as a phone answerer. She actually called me a 'dick'. Nutty. At least now I know why no one over there had heard of Ted.

I now have a call into Mr. Alexander (who, it turns out, has both a radio and voice-over history according to his bio on the site; maybe he's Ian's dad after all). Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks, again, gents.
    Becket, Massachusetts

She actually called me a 'dick'.
    Well, at least she didn't call you a jerk.

She actually called me a 'dick'. Nutty.
    Wow1 Was it Telos Trucking Company????

Nobody representing any company should every say that to a customer or potential customer.

Yeah, Ted has chops. Wait until you hear his voice! He's pleasant and really knows his stuff.

Bill Corkery Productions

OMIGOD. I called the wrong Telos (shoulda just used the number you gave me) and spent a very unpleasant five minutes figuring that out with a woman who has no business representing any company as a phone answerer. She actually called me a 'dick'. Nutty. At least now I know why no one over there had heard of Ted.
    I've had a bad day, and that's cheered me up. Something very amusing about the whole wading in with a request to the completely wrong company. And then being insulted. Thanks Dave.

Dominic

Quote Originally Posted by Sean McCoy View Post
    Well, at least she didn't call you a jerk.
    That woulda been okay. Especially if I had been one.
    Becket, Massachusetts