Close

1. Default Buffer Underrun when recording to HDD over Dante

Hi all,

I'm currently hitting an issue when recording with a new PC. We are attempting to record between 36 and 48 channels of dante audio over ASIO, and are finding that when we record to either of the spinning drives the PC is equipped with we are getting a 'Record buffer underrun. data not processed fast enough' error at random after about 5 seconds. We do not get this error when recording to the system's solid state drive.

This isn't behaviour isn't consistent - sometimes the recording will continue past the 5 second point and continue uninterrupted. More often than not however it will fail.

We have multiple PCs with the same configuration and the behaviour is present in all of them, over different Dante networks. The systems are running Xeon E5-1620 CPUs with 16GB of ram. The hard drives being used is a Seagate Barracuda drive.

Is anyone aware of anything which might be causing this issue?

2. Default Re: Buffer Underrun when recording to HDD over Dante

What bitrate?

You can try re-formatting the spinning disk with a larger NTFS block size. If the SSD keeps up, but the spinning disk doesn't, it's most likely due to the spinning drive not being up to the job.

Default Re: Buffer Underrun when recording to HDD over Dante

There could be problems with the network and harddrive interacting and stepping on each other... Dante can place quite a load on the system... and my first experience with the Dante ASIO driver has not been very good as far as performance is concerned.

Bob L

4. Default Re: Buffer Underrun when recording to HDD over Dante

Hi,

Thanks for your replies - we have since managed to get recording to the spinning drives working using a trial version of Reaper, so I think out hardware setup is ok - I spoke to the guy who set up the PC for us and he seemed to think that the HDDs should be able to take a lot more than what we are throwing at them.