Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default OT: Dirt Cheap CAT5 KVM

I found this a couple days ago, haven't had a chance to try it yet.

You install software on up to 4 host PCs connected to your network then connect the KVM remotely via CAT5 or 6. It claims to do 1920 x 1080 on DVI, 2 USB ports for Keyboard etc, Audio, and 4 PC switching. All for $30.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Default Re: OT: Dirt Cheap CAT5 KVM

I'm using such a device for over two years now. Works really fine.

Tomy
    3 * TIO1608 + AIC-128 + X-Touch + Dante -> AES + DADC-144DT

SATlive is my measurement software
    DIN 15905-5 (German SPL Limit)

Curious if you can send a USB MIDI signal down it... I just ordered one, so I'll let you know what I find out.
    Jim King
    SSR Sound
    http://www.ssrrentals.com

* The product supports only ONE connection at a time. It may be connected directly to your computer via the mini USB port or to be used on your network by connecting through the Ethernet port. Connecting both the USB port and Ethernet port at the same time is not supported.
    This is from the amazon site under the product description. From the comments left, it sounds like it is just an 'add a screen' video device.

Let us know how it works out, please.

I am use to KVM network devices having a sender and receiver. This is only a single device. This looks like if it is just a remote video card, it would absolutely swamp the network and any remotes connected would get stomped on.
    Last edited by Eric White; 11-15-2013 at 01:33 PM.

Interesting...potential problem solver at a venue I work with....

It says it can control up to 4 computers on the network, Does anyone here know if:
    It can pass through a router? network switch?
    Can the computers it addresses also retain a local KVM?

If so It would allow us to mirror monitoring & control between the two rooms in the club (currently done with VNC)
    Ramsey
    Kingsnake Sound Company
    Host:1U Supermicro rack case/I5-3570K/ASUS Sabertooth Z77/8GB Ram, 32GB SATA flash OS drive/250GB SATA storage drive/DVD-RW/HP1U KVM/DLink DIR-655 WirelessN OS: Win7 I/O: MOTU PCIx-424, 3x MOTU 2408mk3, 9xADA8000 Plugs:RML Levelizer,SAWverb; DualLinkwitzRileyFilter; Voxengo Gliss; ReaXcomp; Dominion; + testing others
    Typical Show:24-40 Channel, 4-8 mixes+sidefill, Stereo FOH+SAW multitracking
    Buffer & load: 2x32, 25-55% depending

It seems to be a dual-purpose box -- it can either be plugged into a USB port on the computer in order to add a monitor without having to add a video card, OR it can be used as a remote over cat5, where software on the computer creates a virtual monitor, which can be viewed through the device at the other end of the network.

...so I interpret the USB warning as saying it can't be both -- it can't be both a USB video adaptor *and* a KVM -- it works as one or the other at any given time.

The manufacturer's site has some vague diagrams... but one of them does seem to show four computers hooked into a switch, then the device coming out of the switch with the ability to connect to any of those four computers. That implies to me that it works over TCP/IP. Probably smart to run it on its own isolated LAN, though.

I'll let y'all know how it works.
    Jim King
    SSR Sound

Very interested to see how this works out.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

8. Default Re: OT: Dirt Cheap CAT5 KVM

Yes, it says the 4 computers can be connected through a switch or router.

If it's the same device I'm using (and it looks like it), than you can route it (I've two routers involved), connect up to four pcs via Ethernet and switch between them using your USB Keyboard.
    But changing the pc takes about 5 seconds (which is a very long periode during a live performance) and might create one or two slipped buffers.

My configuration is:

SAC Host on Stage (running SAC Main and SAC Remote)
    -> ASUS Router
    --> CAT 5
    ---> 'No Name' Router
    -----> Remote PC (running SAC Remote) with BCF connected
    -----> This device
    -----> USB Trackball
    -----> USB illuminated keyboard
    -----> Flatscreen Monitor (VGA and now HDMI)

The network carries the KVM data, SAC Remote data and Remote-data for my SAC-Gainplugin. The configuration proved to work for two years now, from small Keyboard/Singer to R&R Groups to 45 Singers + Band gospel choir.

If I'd live in the states, I'd get me two more devices...
    Last edited by TomyN; 11-16-2013 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Format
    3 * TIO1608 + AIC-128 + X-Touch + Dante -> AES + DADC-144DT

SATlive is my measurement software
    DIN 15905-5 (German SPL Limit)

Not promising. Directly connected to the PC, it responds very slowly. I can't get the driver to let me set up a 2nd screen at all. I can't tell if I have a bad device, or if their XP drivers just aren't up to par, or if it is incompatible with my ATI drivers..

Either way.. not worth the time and potential instability at this point.
    Jim King
    SSR Sound