Close

Default "Virtual Sound Check" with SAW

Hey folks,
    So, I don't get to do "virtual sound checks" much, some during practices but none live where I need to go back to the live setup afterwards. Since we're running a large Christmas play at church this week with full orchestra I gave it a shot last night. I recorded our rehearsal into SAWStudio Lite with SAC Link and planned to go back and tweak the orchestra EQs, etc, so clicked "send mix data to SAC" to play back everything through SAC.

Two things it did that I didn't like:
    1-It set all the inputs taps to SAW, which I expected, but I didn't see a way to set everything back to their original live sources easily. Do I really have to go back and manually do this?
    2-It reset all my output routings to 1, so all my group and group latch settings were gone. I assume this is because I had SAW set to the default output of 1.

So, is this the way it is, or is there a better way to do this? I simply want to playback SAW through SAC to tweak things, save the changes, then go back to the Live sources for the show.

Thanks,
    Jeff

7th Voice FOH/Mon/Sys Tech
    www.7thVoice.net
    www.reverbnation.com/7thvoice

SAC Installation:
    Dell Optiplex 990, Intel i5/4GB RAM
    3xMOTU 2408, PCI-424x card, 6x ART TubeOpto8, 2x Motormix

SAC Portable Rig:
    IBM ThinkCentre M50 3.2GHz/4GB RAM
    2x MOTU 2408/PCI-424x card, 2x ART TubeOpto8, 2x M-Audio Profire 2626
    Yamaha Promix01 controller, EWI Tourcase
    CUDJ-P-22.

2. Default Re: "Virtual Sound Check" with SAW

Set up two scenes. One for soundcheck input from SAW and another scene for SAC input.
    Rich Pisani

SAC Host: Asus P7H55-M Pro MB, Intel I3 560, Corsair DDR3 1333MHz 4MB, Raydat 32 ch, Op Sys SSD Drive 40gb, Backup HD WD 1TB 7200 RPM , 750 watt ps, Behringer ADA8000 x4, Behringer BCF2000 x1, Acer 23" Touchscreen.

SAC: 2 x 64, 32 channels, eq, dyn on all channels, 7 monitor mixes. 42%

www.sixstringsclub.com SAC FOH & MON 6 nights a week. Open invitation to check SAC in action. Just ask for one of the "sound & light guys".

www.futuro-house.net For something completely different.

Default Re: "Virtual Sound Check" with SAW

Quote Originally Posted by FuturoMan View Post
    Set up two scenes. One for soundcheck input from SAW and another scene for SAC input.
    I have done this many times. In fact, when I am at home, I have the SAC/SAW rack out in my studio, with an output running into my house to the A/V rack in a closet off my living room. I can mix a previously recorded live show (on SAW) through SAC, as if I was mixing live at a gig. This all comes out the stereo speakers in my living room. It is great for demoing just what SAC/SAW can do or just tweaking parameters and scenes for upcoming shows. I can do all this from a netbook on my home WiFi network.

Virtual sound check is worthless unless you are in a huge venue and the sound coming from the stage would not be audible (much) in the house. Your mix is going to change drastically once acoustic instruments and voices are on stage doing their thing.

Quote Originally Posted by brent View Post
    Virtual sound check is worthless unless you are in a huge venue and the sound coming from the stage would not be audible (much) in the house. Your mix is going to change drastically once acoustic instruments and voices are on stage doing their thing.
    +1
    I didn't realize this until I purchased SAW exactly for this purpose. Recorded the sound check so the band could hear for themselves what FOH sounded like. Then I realized all those Marshall amps on the stage where a big part of the mix that went away.

Still, SAW is useful for recording the stuff and letting people practice sound checks back at the office. In that sense, it's a useful tool for help engineers learn to anticipate what monitor settings will be like on the stage so they can try to preset fader settings before the band is on stage.
    Cheers,
    Randy Hyde
    -------------------
    For the interested, SAC setup here: http://www.plantation-productions.co.../SACSetup.html
    Plantation Productions:http://www.plantation-productions.com

Quote Originally Posted by FuturoMan View Post
    Duh...didn't even think of that.

And I do get the "virtual sound check ain't the same as the band on stage" comments. However, it's very useful for tweaking the recording feed and even for some stage instruments, like a jangly piano

Thanks,
    Jeff

7th Voice FOH/Mon/Sys Tech
    www.7thVoice.net
    www.reverbnation.com/7thvoice

SAC Installation:
    Dell Optiplex 990, Intel i5/4GB RAM
    3xMOTU 2408, PCI-424x card, 6x ART TubeOpto8, 2x Motormix

SAC Portable Rig:
    IBM ThinkCentre M50 3.2GHz/4GB RAM
    2x MOTU 2408/PCI-424x card, 2x ART TubeOpto8, 2x M-Audio Profire 2626
    Yamaha Promix01 controller, EWI Tourcase
    CUDJ-P-22.

Use it for ringing out the PA or place, just to hear how the room works.It's good to hate it...