Close

Default DPC Latency and Wifi

Ok. So my host machines have always worked pretty well. I've been looking at putting together a laptop based system for the occasional time when I need 8 or fewer inputs and just a few outputs. I got a MOTU 8pre USB having previously tested it (on a laptop that no longer works, of course) and it did pretty well. With my current machines, though, there are some DPC spikes caused by the wifi drivers. I am on the most recent versions of everything, and the spikes remain. Disabling the wifi seems to make everything work quite nicely, including internal loopback for playback through SAC (which is quite a nice feature).

If this is going to work long term, though, I'd like to have wifi working. Are there any tweaks for keeping DPC latency down, or is the only option an external bridge?
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

Default Re: DPC Latency and Wifi

if the laptop is your host machine, why do you need WiFi on?

The only thing you can do is make sure all drivers are as up to date as possible. To be honest wifi is often problematic. You're much better off using an external access point for wifi connectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by mojogil View Post
    if the laptop is your host machine, why do you need WiFi on?
    Two reasons. First, this would be most often used in a setup where SAC would not be the mix engine (only have one license) which means VNC for what limited control would be necessary, and that done through ad-hoc wifi. Second, it might be handy to have access to streaming music (Pandora, Spotify,

Both of these could be accomplished with a wifi bridge coming in through the ethernet port, but that's just one extra thing to carry around. Not that big of a deal, though...

Oh well.
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

Whilst I completely sympathise with the idea of keeping things light and not carrying an extra device, do it. Adhoc wifi and sac are not good bed fellows.