Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OT: Mic'ing a flute...

SAC-heads,

I'm providing some audio production for a handbell ensemble group that I am also performing in. During our performance we have a flute soloist. During rehearsals I noted that she wasn't quite cutting through the dozen "handbellists." Since I am providing a pair of K8's and podium microphone, I am toying with the idea of also reinforcing the flute.

Naturally a condenser mic comes to mind, but defer to the experts in this forum. I'm basically limited to a cheaper bullet condenser mic or an SM-57/58. Assuming a condenser mic is best, my next concern would be for placement. I'm thinking above the flute a couple feet?

We will have a dress rehearsal the day before the show, so I will be allowed to experiment with different audio set ups. But because I will be performing, once this is set, it is set. I won't be able to tweak during the show.

The only sound reinforcement will be the K8's, a podium mic and whatever I come up with for the flute. The K8's have a high-pass filter, so as of this writing I don't plan on bringing a mixer. My smallest mixer is a 16 channel Mackie or my 16 channel MixWizard, which I'd rather not bring. I want to keep this set up as simple as possible.

Thoughts? Ideas?
    Last edited by Donnie Frank; 12-11-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    DF

http://soundaddy.com

Intel DG965OT Motherboard (11/17/08) - Intel P4 LGA-775 651 (Cedar Mill) 3.4GHz CPU
    2.0GB 800Mhz RAM - 40GB Intel X25-V SSD - 500GB SATA "Spinner"

RME HDSP 9652 (x2 - 1 spare) - Behringer ADA8000 (x5 - 2 spares)
    CM MotorMix (x3 - Host system) - Behringer BCF-2000 (Remote system)

Default Re: OT: Mic'ing a flute...

The 57 should work fine. I actually prefer that sometimes to a condensor, depends on the player and intrument.

I ussually do sort of an overhead. Place it about forehead height, a foot or two in front of the player. I usually point it almost straight down. The high freq roll off you'll get can actually be useful I think.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    The 57 should work fine. I actually prefer that sometimes to a condensor, depends on the player and intrument.

I ussually do sort of an overhead. Place it about forehead height, a foot or two in front of the player. I usually point it almost straight down. The high freq roll off you'll get can actually be useful I think.
    Interesting on the HF roll off. I'll give this a shot. Thanx!
    DF

http://soundaddy.com

Intel DG965OT Motherboard (11/17/08) - Intel P4 LGA-775 651 (Cedar Mill) 3.4GHz CPU
    2.0GB 800Mhz RAM - 40GB Intel X25-V SSD - 500GB SATA "Spinner"

RME HDSP 9652 (x2 - 1 spare) - Behringer ADA8000 (x5 - 2 spares)
    CM MotorMix (x3 - Host system) - Behringer BCF-2000 (Remote system)

Depends on the situation. But a close mic flute on a good system can make the high notes on the instrument take your head off in the mains. At least to my taste anyway.

You also want to make sure they are not blowing into the mic. The downward angle helps with this, but so does using a dynamic rather than condenser mic. Again it all depends on intrument, player and arrangements. Some are more "dark" than others and a condenser can then sound better or if you really want that flute part to stick out in the mix.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

5. Default Re: OT: Mic'ing a flute...

I've never had a problem using a regular vocal mic.

6. Wink Re: OT: Mic'ing a flute...

My first choice would be a small pencil condenser or the like. I usually prefer the crisper sound. I don't like to close mic a flute because as the musician moves so does the sound and like RB said some of the high notes can cut your head off . During rehersal I would stand near the musician put a finger in one ear and move your head around as they play and see if you find a spot that sounds the way you want and position the mic from there. I usually end up with a boom from behind with the mic about a foot or so overhead about the middle of the flute. I don't usually like to use vocal mics with tight cardiod patterns especially if the musician moves the instrument around alot. With either a condenser or a dynamic you will prob need to do a subtle roll off of the highs to maintain a natural sound.

$0.02

Larry B
    SAC RIG: ASUS PQ5-SE/R E8500 4GIG RAM WIN XP RME DIGI9652 3-ADA8000 DBX DRIVERACK260 12U RACK CASE SAC & SAW studiolite.

I worked with a jazz flute player Alexander Zonjic he used a countryman headset and a floor full of pedals sounded great the mic was bent out and up a little not in the usual position
    Very cool smooth jazz show

Butch

8. Default Re: OT: Mic'ing a flute...

I had 3 flutes last night.

2 were the sax players and they just used the 57's that were also their sax mics, the third was a female vocalist, and she just used her 58. You just need players that know where the sound emanates from their instrument, you don't want to mic them blowing into it...

9. Default Re: OT: Mic'ing a flute...

Here is what Her flute sounded like through Her SM58:

Flute mic'd with SM58

BTW, She's also the 'Carrot Mom' in the Walmart Christmas commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
    Here is what Her flute sounded like through Her SM58:

Flute mic'd with SM58

BTW, She's also the 'Carrot Mom' in the Walmart Christmas commercial.
    Carrot mom?????