Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OT: XMAS Mic Shootout - what is your fav?

Default Re: OT: XMAS Mic Shootout - what is your fav?

On YouTube anyway, the differences are surprisingly small. Maybe there was some EQ involved.

I'd like to know more about the differences between the first two mics - other than color. Age, maybe?

The dynamics are not quite as nice on her voice as the condensers, but surprisingly good. Just fine for live and starter studios.

Based on this video alone, I would take the cost of a Neumann and buy several AT mics.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Burkeville View Post
    It seems as though there is something in the way which blurs/blends the true differences in those mics, which would normally sound far different than what is shown in the video on YouTube.

On the other hand ... it could be used to our advantage when we're trying to match previous voice tracks performed with a different mic....(just run old and new unmatched tracks through YouTube... and record the results back to a separate track)
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

4. Default Re: OT: XMAS Mic Shootout - what is your fav?

It's hard to tell because she holds the mics up in front of her boobs and my mind starts to wander.....

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
    It's hard to tell because she holds the mics up in front of her boobs and my mind starts to wander.....
    Tomorrow I'll be able to have a couple drinks with my lunch.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

6. Default Re: OT: XMAS Mic Shootout - what is your fav?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    Tomorrow I'll be able to have a couple drinks with my lunch.
    Lol, yeah something like that...

Based on this video, while both the U47 and U67 sounded really good, I'd actually go with the SM-7B. I've been using one for years and am still surprised every time it wins out over my more expensive mics—which is fairly frequent.

I think one factor that reduces the reliability of these shootouts is that good, experienced singers will instinctively adjust their own approach, and hence their tone, to whatever they hear in their phones. Recording a single performance with multiple mics is logistically difficult, but more telling. In this one, as was mentioned, the differences, while clearly noticeable, are more subtle than one would expect. I've experienced this myself when shooting out both mics and preamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean McCoy View Post
    Based on this video, while both the U47 and U67 sounded really good, I'd actually go with the SM-7B. I've been using one for years and am still surprised every time it wins out over my more expensive mics—which is fairly frequent.

I think one factor that reduces the reliability of these shootouts is that good, experienced singers will instinctively adjust their own approach, and hence their tone, to whatever they hear in their phones. Recording a single performance with multiple mics is logistically difficult, but more telling. In this one, as was mentioned, the differences, while clearly noticeable, are more subtle than one would expect. I've experienced this myself when shooting out both mics and preamps.
    WHAT HE SAID!

Actually i though the U47 sounded Broken , no life, and Thin.... BUT the SM7B tamed her Siblance nicely and gave her some Balls...ummm.... Body.....
    Carey A. Langille
    Producer/Engineer
    Ocean Sound Productions
    www.oceansoundstudio.com
    Creativity at the Speed of Sound

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
    Maybe this is better done on Sound Cloud?
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

To my ears in this shoot out the first U87 sounded best to me.
    The AT had a tacky brightness that I didn't like.
    The sm7 sounded too muddy for a female voice.
    The u47 sounded wrong for her voice.
    That said all these mics have different sweet spots and I think that might of been the problem with the U47 - she needed to be closer to that mic.
    If she was closer the sound would have gotten fuller and more present.
    No two voices sound the same so the voice determines which mike I choose.
    The more choices I have the better I feel about the session.
    Last edited by Tim Miskimon; 12-25-2013 at 09:30 AM.