Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ot- empty metal box w/ w in/out blanks

I want to make an Ethernet over xlr converter box. I have a couple of homemade cables but they are pretty vulnerable. Does anyone know of a little metal "di" type box with "D" type blanks? I need two on one side, and one on the other.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Ot- empty metal box w/ w in/out blanks

Depends on how much you want to spend. You could always buy something in the form factor you need and strip the guts.

Audiopile has something.
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mojogil View Post
    I want to make an Ethernet over xlr converter box. I have a couple of homemade cables but they are pretty vulnerable. Does anyone know of a little metal "di" type box with "D" type blanks? I need two on one side, and one on the other.
    Thanks.
    If you mean something like this:
    http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/...2&postcount=30
    you can get them (without connectors) from http://www.canford.co.uk/
    Last edited by kruntz; 12-22-2013 at 09:03 PM.
    Cheers.

"while(!asleep()) sheep++;"
    Carlo.

Nice..

Have to add them to my source list.
    Ben Farmer
    Omaha, NE
    ETCP Certified Entertainment Electrician

Thanks.
    Rapco.

6. Default Re: Ot- empty metal box w/ w in/out blanks

Thanks.
    Ethernet over XLR? Why would you want to do that, may I ask? It sounds way more expensive than just running a cheap CAT 6 cable. Especially when you consider that you'd need 4 XLR channels and all the connectors to get it done.

They have CAT 6 ends in a D type connector and panel mount that lock the connections in place nicely.

What did I miss here?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
    Ethernet over XLR? Why would you want to do that, may I ask? It sounds way more expensive than just running a cheap CAT 6 cable. Especially when you consider that you'd need 4 XLR channels and all the connectors to get it done.

They have CAT 6 ends in a D type connector and panel mount that lock the connections in place nicely.

What did I miss here?
    I was wondering the same thing as you, but it seems other responders assumed the OP really meant XLR lines over CAT5, which not only makes a lot more sense, but is what they showed links to.

So until the OP responds and clarifys what they really are trying to do it is hard to say what they really need.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
    Ethernet over XLR? Why would you want to do that, may I ask?
    It has its applications If you were in a venue with an installed snake, it would be a way to get from the booth to the stage without running a wire. Cat6 also doesn't lay as nicely as multicore typically does and gets damaged easily, so it can be a bit of a pain to maintain.

Also, you really only need 2 XLR channels to do this.. 10/100 networking requires only 2 pairs of the ethernet cable. You'd need 4 for gigabit, but that's overkill for a SAC network.
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Evans View Post
    Also, you really only need 2 XLR channels to do this.. 10/100 networking requires only 2 pairs of the ethernet cable. You'd need 4 for gigabit, but that's overkill for a SAC network.
    I don't know. I think it depends on just how many remotes you have running. I guess I just like to play it safe and use a Gigabit switch, since most of my computers have gigabit Ethernet in them, might as well make use of it if needed.

I also usually have other things going on over the show/sound network as well, like VNC clients (even on SAC host so you can tweak the reverb, etc..), so I would always advise to go with gigabit.

Just my opinion.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

I think the concept is silly. The excuse that CAT5 won't lay down is equally silly when there are many cable manufacturers offering stage grade CAT5 with ethercons. Neutrik, ProCo, RapCo, Whirlwind, Beldon. Heck, Beldon has multicore CAT5 drop snakes for crying out loud. Why would you give up the benefits of twisted pair wire? Not all mic line can accommodate the transmission of digital signals.