Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Two IEM questions- OT

The band I mix is on IEMs with a HEAR brand 16 channel console. Everyone has a mono mix. We use the Senheiser EW300 G3 units and split the L/R. There is some endorsement money available to upgrade the system so we are adding more G3 units so everyone can have their own stereo mix. We are also upgrading our monitor console which will most likely be X32 or SAC, leaning toward the X32. There are 7 people on stage and there will be 8 wireless iem units and 2 wireless guitar units.

Question 1:
    What is the best practice(s) overall for wireless frequency management? I saw that Senheiser has management software. I will be adding a network switch in the rack for that. Do you scan every one at every venue? Do you let each unit find the best frequency or do you try and follow an organized system?

2. Drummer specific- do you typically put the entire kit in the ears? I can't imagine snare would need to be in the ears? What about Hat? Do you gate/comp things for the ears as you would for FOH?

3. Any IEM highlight or bullet point items would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Re: Two IEM questions- OT

1 if you travel you need to check RF every day
    whether its mfr. specific or a RF scanner

i now own both sac and a x32 core

if it is a dedicated monitor desk
    they both have their pros/cons

2 if you are doing monitors for a ear band
    you let them tell you what they want
    to start with.

if they are smart [i realize the implied oxymoron here]
    they will use ears to preserve their hearing , not destroy it...

and yes
    eventually you can see where mild processing belongs in their mixs

3 i avoid the use of phantom powered anything

know your rig

...check it daily

ALL of it

ears is a dangerous business

You should scan at every venue. I would also recomend picking up something like RF Guru along with it's RF scanner software. That can help make sure you don't have intermod issues and allow you to input other know RF freqs in use, for example if you use an wireless vocal mic, etc.... you want to enter all those freqs, to make sure they won't intermod with one another.

Also if you already have a Hearback Mixer, why not just buy the little remote mixers and everyone can tweak their own mix to suit from 8 channels?
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Thanks for the pointers. RB, we want to scrap the hear console for several reasons and we need more channels and processing. I looked up RF Guru and RF Scanner. Definitely will be getting those tools. Thanks for the heads up.
    Gil

I sometimes wonder at the wisdom of wireless iem for a whole band. For anyone whose instrument is tethered, especially for keys and drums, why not use wired?

A mixed economy of wired and wireless makes it much easier and cheaper to give everyone their own mix and gives you much more wriggle room on the frequencies in challenging environments.
    Last edited by Mattseymour; 12-29-2013 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Gramatttttical errors

Mycorn,
    Would you mind briefly explaining what a brand new iem monitor check would look like for you? Is there a typical systematic flow that you find works well for you? How do you get a good balance for the artists while maintaining good gain structure?

I like the Dave Rat method of using groups on the monitors to apply some light compression to everything except the mix 'owner'. Helps keep the overall level under control without ever applying compression to a singer's own monitor, for example.

like anywhere
    gain structure has to come first

then its basically the same as building a cue mix in the studio...

little FOH mixes with that performer shoved out front a bit

common sense stuff

the mix aint rocket science
    ...it's all the rest of the krap you have to deal with

fwiw

9. Default Re: Two IEM questions- OT

We use a mix of wired and wireless iem. Anyone who has a cord to their instrument is wired, drummer, bass player, keys, electric guitar and an occasional mando player. We have three bgv and one lead vocal on wireless ears and mics.

I built a couple specialty cable harnesses using techflex expandable nylon tubing with a guitar cable along side a headphone extension cable. I just switched my electric guitarist over to wired ears that way - his mix is cleaner, louder, no batteries, no radio interference, better stereo separation and he likes it. He is not going anywhere without his guitar plugged in, so running a headphone extension along with the guitar cable works out WAY cheaper and technically better than wireless anything any time. It's worth looking into.

I'm still a bit undecided about headphone amps, but the SM Pro Audio HP6 works prett well for us. It has five separate mix inputs, I'm heading toward getting our second electric guitarist wired then waiting out the next spectrum auction and milking our 600Mhz band iems for a couple more years to try a wired solution for bgv.

Wired is definitely where it's at if you can live slightly tethered...

Jeremy

Exactly. Wireless has it's place but just as would try to avoid every sound source being wireless (RB's theatre realm excepted) why make life hard with loads of wireless monitors.

Regarding the mix I've found many folk end up with things too loud by default. Compressing everyone else in each mix helps a lot but mostly it's about keeping mixes tidy with sensible eq. Inexperienced singers will often want loads of themselves, which can lead to pitching problems.
    Last edited by Mattseymour; 12-29-2013 at 04:54 PM.