Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Word Clock

Default Re: Word Clock

Try this if you want to know more...

It's a paper describing the accuracy of a selection of digital transmission formats.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/media/10...lay_aes116.pdf

Dominic

Quote Originally Posted by DominicPerry View Post

It's a paper describing the accuracy of a selection of digital transmission formats.

Dominic
    After reading that abstract... it seems John Flemming had it right the first time.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by DominicPerry View Post

Dominic
    Its a paper from 2004 and the conclusion of the paper basically says if its digital, it might work or it might not. We don't really know why and we don't have any suggestions about how to make it better.

As for me, I've got two rock solid systems connected over ADAT and have had zero clocking issues.

I'd always start with the simpler solution. If ADAT clock works, great use it. If for some reason its not working with the equipment you have, than try a separate word clock, just know that its adding additional complexity to the system.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Its a paper from 2004 and the conclusion of the paper basically says if its digital, it might work or it might not. We don't really know why and we don't have any suggestions about how to make it better.

As for me, I've got two rock solid systems connected over ADAT and have had zero clocking issues.

I'd always start with the simpler solution. If ADAT clock works, great use it. If for some reason its not working with the equipment you have, than try a separate word clock, just know that its adding additional complexity to the system.
    I kind of agree, but when you get to larger systems where you have 2 or 3 or more computers and consoles and god knows what else all talking to each other.... trust me, running a dedicacted word clock generator and making everthing lock to it, actually ends up being the simple route rather than some complex spider web of adat clocks or the like.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Quote Originally Posted by PhaseShifter View Post
    I've seen this posted a lot, but have yet to see anyone prove that clocking via ADAT is less reliable.
    I've had problems here at the studio trying to get a LynxTwo card (with ADAT exp) to sync to incoming ADAT from an RME card. That proved it for me.

I will add this... 9 times out of 10, when I have problems with ADAT connections, it turns out to be a problematic cable.
    Last edited by Naturally Digital; 01-06-2014 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    I kind of agree, but when you get to larger systems where you have 2 or 3 or more computers and consoles and god knows what else all talking to each other.... trust me, running a dedicacted word clock generator and making everthing lock to it, actually ends up being the simple route rather than some complex spider web of adat clocks or the like.
    In multi-connection configurations the simpler setup is going to be a dedicated word clock. Actually in some of those configurations a dedicated word clock is the only sane option.

Just saying that there isn't anything inherently wrong/poor about ADAT clocking (even though there are instances where it doesn't work).
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    In multi-connection configurations the simpler setup is going to be a dedicated word clock. Actually in some of those configurations a dedicated word clock is the only sane option.

Just saying that there isn't anything inherently wrong/poor about ADAT clocking (even though there are instances where it doesn't work).
    Agreed. There just seems to be more instances where ADAT clocking is poorly implemented than most other digital interconnects. No idea why really, just my experience.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

I agree that the paper is out of date, but some of the interfaces they tested were from 1997 - seven years before the paper was written. The standards have been around for many years, but that doesn't mean devices are adhering to them.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that there are several things in play. ADAT, as a digital standard, should work just fine as a sync method. In the same way, unbalanced audio at -10dB over a short run, connected with 3.5mm mini jacks, can and often does work as well as balanced audio at +4dB connected with locking XLRs. But the combination of interference, lossy cables and unreliable connectors make the latter preferable to the former.

An ADAT connection should be fine, but sometimes it isn't. The connectors are fiddly, the cables can be low grade. A good locking BNC, dedicated to the job of wordclock is a more reassuring approach. It won't sound 'better' than ADAT if the ADAT is working properly, but it's more likely to work.

Dominic

Thumbs up Re: Word Clock

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    (y)
    Carlos Mills
    Mosaico Mobile
    ASUS P8Z68 (Chipset Intel Z68) Intel i5 2500 3.3GHZ 4GB RAM RME HDSPe MADI and HDSPe AIO - GeForce GT 430
    Plug ins - RMLLabs, Sonoris, JMS, Waves, Antares, SIR2
    Mixing and Recording 64 channels - 50% CPU load. Buffers @ 32/1 in/out. WIN 7 32 bits.