Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: WDM ASIO Link Driver

Thanks for the explanation, BTW I did get wormhole to work in a fashion, the latency was not constant and it was not smooth sailing, and I stopped using it. Used it to transfer tracks from a sequencer one one PC to SAW in the Primary PC. In the end I got hold of another Yamaha i88x and use that to transfer stuff using analog, not perfect but sound quality is acceptable.
    Would like to find a way to do it without going via analog though.
    Dante looks interesting once the price of the hardware comes down.

Cheers.
    RobertV
    www.sawstudio.com

Just curious but is there no way to just bounce the tracks down in the PC with the sequencer and then import those into the SAW PC?

Just a thought.

If not then I would look to get myself a sound card with an ADAT port for both PCs. Do a digital transfer, theoretically you'll have a perfect transfer with no signal degradation.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

3. Default Re: WDM ASIO Link Driver

RB, it's stable AND you can do a direct output channel to input channel link for a loop around through a dummy network connection. Something I'd asked Bob for long ago. This allows me to use media player, or itunes, or any other internal sound source to be output to an input channel (wormhole without the worm). Latency was basically one sample width.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi View Post
    Latency was basically one sample width.
    Do you mean "one buffer time"?
    Cheers.

"while(!asleep()) sheep++;"
    Carlo.

No, he meant "one sound slice".

Or it might have been "one audio morsel" but it's hard to tell.

7. Default Re: WDM ASIO Link Driver

It was too early in the morning when I replied. One buffer width.

This looks interesting. Can anyone confirm that this would allow two-way routing of ASIO audio over a network?

For instance... I have an MOTU 8Pre (8 in, 4 out) which I can put on a remote, would that give me 8 extra ins and a headphone feed plus a second stereo return through the network at reasonable latency? For that matter... would it simply allow the mic input and headphone jack of a remote laptop to show up in SAC as devices along with the regular pres? It seems like this might be the case...
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

9. Default Re: WDM ASIO Link Driver

Brent,
    you can run any amount of ins and outs over a network, the problem being of course the more you run the longer it will take (and there is a setting to ensure EVERYTHING is synced up, which will probably increase latency even more).

This is interesting. Very much the same concept of AVB networking minus the Dante requirement of one piece of hardware in the chain to make it work. I hope to see more development in this direction.