Close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default SAC 3.1 - MIDI Controller Templates

I just wanted to give a public thank you to Bob for his recent work on the MIDI control templates that came out with SAC 3.1.

They will come in handy and I think this will allow users to do a lot more with control surfaces than we ever have before. It also allows for more possibilities to control SAC via MIDI from other applications.

I have tested out the new 102 Channel MIDI CC template. It works well and the original issue with channel reordering has been fixed and is working well for me here so far.

I also noticed there was some work done on our past issues with timed fades causing surfaces to respond poorly. The new data thinning works great! I can write timed fades and the faders more along in a reasonable manner. I even was moving faders up and down by hand while SAC was fading some others. And so far so good! I tested this out with the new MIDI CC template as well as the original templates for the Behringer BCFs.

Thanks again Bob for taking care of some of these issues and the new templates. I very much appreciate it and we'll be putting these to use very soon.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Default Re: SAC 3.1 - MIDI Controller Templates

Agreed. I just bought a BCR2000 to try to make my controller footprint smaller and so far, it looks good.
    -Craig

Glad you are putting the new templates to use... it should be interesting to see what people do with them.

Bob L

4. Default Re: SAC 3.1 - MIDI Controller Templates

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    I just wanted to give a public thank you to Bob for his recent work on the MIDI control templates that came out with SAC 3.1. .......
    +1

Thanks Bob.

BCR2000 as a 24ch plus the top 8 as main, subs and auxs monitor mixer.

1+

brettbrandon Guest

Am I missing something?

I just installed version 3.1 in a fresh directory and am using the new "MidiCtrl_Custom_CC_102_Ch_Ver_01.mct" midi template.

If I reorder the channels, lets say move "Out 1" to the "Input 16" slot, Out 1 is now being controlled by "cc16" instead of "cc79" as it should be.

I thought that when a controller is assigned, it stays assigned to that channel no matter what the channel order. That was the whole idea of a 102 channel template I thought....

I must be missing something.

Brett

Yup, the controller is associated to the slot of where the channel is located not the the channel itself.
    Ben Farmer
    Omaha, NE
    ETCP Certified Entertainment Electrician

Quote Originally Posted by brettbrandon View Post
    Am I missing something?

I just installed version 3.1 in a fresh directory and am using the new "MidiCtrl_Custom_CC_102_Ch_Ver_01.mct" midi template.

If I reorder the channels, lets say move "Out 1" to the "Input 16" slot, Out 1 is now being controlled by "cc16" instead of "cc79" as it should be.

I thought that when a controller is assigned, it stays assigned to that channel no matter what the channel order. That was the whole idea of a 102 channel template I thought....

I must be missing something.

Brett
    Brett,

All of Bob's templates work like this. The controller number is associated with the "slot" the channel is in. Not the channel itself. Yeah, I am with you in that I wish it would not be that way. But that is just not how SAC works. So you just have to modify your controller (whether that be hardware or other 3rd party software) to match your channel order.

I mean in an ideal world there would be a special MIDI set up dialog that would allow you to assign any MIDI control parameter to any function on any channel on any mixer. But since that is unlikely to ever happen, I will settle for this update. For my work at least it pretty much does everything I'd need. Some of them require some jumping through a hoop or two, but at least we can get it done now. Of course for me fixing the timed fade scene recall issue alone is huge.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

brettbrandon Guest

I see where setups that don't change much or at all this works out great. Where it dosen't help much is where changes are being made on a regular basis and the channel labels are entered manually. Or in some of my cases, where the different monitor mixes are in different orders (each musicians preference). Any surface or app that does not use the channel "label" data, has no clue what is currently on the faders when you change mixs...

Brett