Close

Default OT- 25 connector rack box

I'm looking for a rack mount box or just a simple rack panel with 25 pin connectors. Basically just 25 pin couplings mounted in a panel or box, acting as a pass through. I would connect xlr to 25 pin whips to both sides of the box. My wish is to have minimum three but preferrably four (32 channels) of these connectors. Any ideas where to find this item? I've asked Mr Google and Mr Bing but haven't found what I'm looking for yet.

Also, we want to upgrade our split snake to a 32 channel box with removeable tails. It doesn't need to be a transormer split, it can be a poor mans type splitter, but I want it to have quick connectors so the box is seperate from the cabling. I've seen some things on the Whirlwind site, Does anyone have any reccomendations for a split like this? I'm not familiar with multi-pin connectors so I don't know what type would be best for this application.
    Thanks.

Default Re: OT- 25 connector rack box

Last edited by PAco; 01-20-2014 at 06:07 AM.

The first link, which is basically a 25 pin coupling, is what I'm looking for but I want it to be in a 1 space rack mount. Either a flat panel or a box. I have some of the couplers which work great for patching tails together within a rack.
    My purpose is to have our preamp inputs patched with planet waves tails to this rack unit, and also have planet waves tails put on the end of our split snake. Our 24 channel configuration will then only have three 25 pin connections onto the back of the rack. I could simply use couplings like the ones in your link, but I like having the items within the rack patched tight and not have to mess with the connections, and keep the external connections on panels.

Here is an ebay posting with the panel and connectors

google really is your friend. "db25 rack panel"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DB25-Rack-Pa...10579471140%26

I couldn't tell if these were pass through headers or actually db25 connectors, but the plate is the same and you should be able to find blank plates at many sources.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by mojogil View Post
    The first link, which is basically a 25 pin coupling, is what I'm looking for but I want it to be in a 1 space rack mount. Either a flat panel or a box. I have some of the couplers which work great for patching tails together within a rack.
    My purpose is to have our preamp inputs patched with planet waves tails to this rack unit, and also have planet waves tails put on the end of our split snake. Our 24 channel configuration will then only have three 25 pin connections onto the back of the rack. I could simply use couplings like the ones in your link, but I like having the items within the rack patched tight and not have to mess with the connections, and keep the external connections on panels.
    Are these planet waves tails something you already own? I couldn't find anything on their website and have never seen any, so I don't know exactly what you're speaking of. But I assume these must be pre-assembled cables with db25-pin connectors on them?

If you're starting with raw cables, or haven't purchased the planet waves yet, I'd suggest going with a single connector to accommodate all 24 and/or 32 channels instead of three or four of those db25-pin jobs. Speaking from personal experience, those db25's are much too cumbersome and the screw holds are too fragile for frequent connects and disconnects.

Ideally, you'd want a twist-type connector like those Whirlwind sells, but they are quite expensive. A commonly used and cheaper (yet robust) connector would be the EDAC/Elco connectors. A 90-pin would work for 24 channels, or 120-pin would take care of both the 24 and 32 channel needs.
    http://www.redco.com/EDAC-ELCO-Connectors/ Redco isn't the only place to get these, but it happened to be a convenient link.

In my own case, I have a passive splitter box that's wired for two banks of 24channels, using a pair of 90-pin Elco for each split (one to the board, one to the recording preamps in a rack). Besides the paired 24-channel cables, I also have a couple of smaller 16-channel cables that allow me to use the same splitter box (for the mic lines from stage) and the same connectors, but with fewer pins to go to a smaller recording rack.

This arrangement has worked far better for me than the previous system I had put together with db25-pin connectors. Maybe it could for you as well?

One word to the wise, there are cheap knock-off Elco-style connectors around..... The lower cost is very tempting, but (again, speaking from experience) they are definitely NOT in the same league as the Elcos. They also tend not to fit existing elco recepticles very well either. I went through a lot of fudging to get a few connectors to finally work once.... some were even put together improperly.

6. Default Re: OT- 25 connector rack box

The coupler is a gender changer, meaning you'll and up reversing the order of the top and bottom layer pins.

Pin1 on the one side will now mate up with pin 13 on the other side, etc, etc.

This is the one I ordered just yesterday for patching within the rack:
    http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-M...+waves+adapter

I went with this one because it didn't say anything about changing gender, only the fact that it is a coupler.

Thanks for the comments, I'll look into the multipin stuff.