Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: OT: Camcorder with line in?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Nice.

I remember seeing a new (I think it was a) Sony product in a stereo store in maybe the early or middle 70s. From what I remember it was a quarter-inch tape format in not-so-compact cassettes. Anybody remember that?

UPDATE: fascinating. Apparently, the Elcaset is what I remember. Although it was based on a similar attempt some twenty years prior, the RCA Tape Cartridge. Both were attempts at getting the performance of 1/4" tape with the convenience of a cartridge. Both failed miserably in the marketplace.

Here's a pretty cool history of audio formats over time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_audio_formats

Interesting that ADAT and DA88 didn't make that list. Plus they forgot a ton of various hard disk formats, but that would probably need it's own page.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    Interesting that ADAT and DA88 didn't make that list. Plus they forgot a ton of various hard disk formats, but that would probably need it's own page.
    With the exception of the Fidelipac (broadcast cart), these appear to be all consumer formats. That might explain the missing stuff. The digital reel-to-reel formats and all the pro analogue formats are missing, too.

It is Wikipedia, after all. Feel free to add stuff.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I realize this isn't what you want to hear and certainly not the fastest solution...

But if it were me and I kept getting out of sync rips, I'd rip it to avi, put in SAW, extract the audio, re-align it in SAW, render it to DV AVI and then convert it to whatever format you want to end up with via something like PavTube, or maybe Any Video Converter (AVCfree)... and be done with it.

At least realigning it in SAW is almost always painless, plus you can do a little (or a lot of) cleanup and/or enhancement of the audio track at the same time.

PavTube converts the SAW DV AVI files without flinching, by the way.
    No, this is very good advice and just what I needed to hear. Thanks.
    Currently using:
    T43p Thinkpad w/XP SP3 for FOH, Subs and Front Fill Mixes (20% CPU load);
    T500 Thinkpad w/Win7 SP1 for 6 Monitor Mixes (15% CPU load)
    Running at 2x32
    2 Digifaces, 1 w/CardBus, 1 w/ExpressCard
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;
    1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all FOH sends; 1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all Monitor sends;

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post
    No, this is very good advice and just what I needed to hear. Thanks.
    I hope it helps resolve the issue for you.
    As much as I love adding video to my talents/interests, it's a major PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I hope it helps resolve the issue for you.
    As much as I love adding video to my talents/interests, it's a major PITA.
    VERY nice - clean - clear - felt like I was there.
    One of my sons graduated from Carver College of Medicine there...
    lots of talent in that town!

Just curious - did you use Pavtube to convert after rendering the AVI?
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Carl G. View Post
    VERY nice - clean - clear - felt like I was there.
    One of my sons graduated from Carver College of Medicine there...
    lots of talent in that town!

Just curious - did you use Pavtube to convert after rendering the AVI?
    Ah.... Interesting about your son. That school has a pretty great medical program and facilities. Lots of talent in many fields there, too..... Some pretty good musicians and other artists, as well.

Really glad you like the videos. That's the first time I've ever gotten to watch a band I was recording at the JazzFest up close like that. The videographer (is that what he'd be called?) is a recent acquaintence and we seem to be working together much more often lately.

I'll have to ask him how he made the conversions from avi to youtube. I agree that those videos came out excellent. I know he's used Sony Movie Studio Platinum for some of the editing work. He and I send files to each other via cloud services and I haven't seen his studio in person.

Thanks for noticing!

Digging up a zombie thread to illicit any advice from the knowledgeable SAW family.

I have finally gotten to a point of no return where some 2006-2009 recorded MiniDVs of mine need to be captured to be comped into other things.

Camera is a Panasonic NV-DS27

for the vision output to computer we are using the iDV 4 pin firewire port
    connected to StarTech FW PCIe card

seems audio won't transfer via the FW
    so, we are using 3 channel minijack to RCA cable for audio

Trying to capture via SS64, seems to record 3 frames of vision and then SS64 crashes

Tried VLC, but VLC gets its panties in a bunch on my Win10 machine

Is capturing the MiniDV tapes not possible or not suggested to be done using SS64?

Originally I came to see if HDCP was the issue, but isn't that a HDMI copy protection?

Hmmm...doing some research I see many holes in my knowledge and what I remember...I think I'm trying to capture to incorrect aspect ratio in SS64...I'll report back once success is achieved :-)
    Last edited by Todd R; 03-12-2024 at 06:28 PM.
    i7 8700K| ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4-3000| Palit GeForce 1050ti KalmX| RME UFX+| Win10 Pro (21H2) / Win 7 Pro 64| Propellerhead Reason 10 & 8.3| SawStudio Full64| Drawmer MC2.1| Adam A7X| Avantone MixCubes| Gibson 74-75 Byrdland & ES355 '64 RI| Lexicon PCM80 & 81| MesaBoogie TriAxis| Peavey Rock Master| Digitech GSP2101 Dual| RJM RG-16| Masotti MXM| VHT2902 & 2562| EV 12L Classics| Fender Cybertwin FE & SE| Sound Devices 722| Rode K2 & WGII| Sennheiser MKE2| DPA6060

Blog Entries

Can't you just export the recording into a file in Windows and then from there import it to SawStudio?

Quote Originally Posted by Microstudio View Post
    Can't you just export the recording into a file in Windows and then from there import it to SawStudio?
    Using what workflow?

I need to transfer tapes before exporting anything...are you saying it's possible to just export from a tape to windows?!?
    again, using what workflow?

Based on previous experience, I thought I'd need to transfer the tapes to computer drive first.

I'm doing a lot of research on this...seems FW driver might be the culprit

SS Video Viewer has these functionalities in the menus and described in the user manual(s), I assumed Video Viewer was designed for such transfers due to the syntax of the menu items...
    is SS not able to do this?

Blog Entries