Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: OT: Camcorder with line in?

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post
    I don't know very much about DVD file structures.

I've been completely baffled lately trying to rip a homemade DVD (concert recording of a band I used to work with, the FIXX). I've tried ripping to AVI, MP4, WMV, SWF. In every case, the audio is either a little or a lot out of sync with the video.

The program I've been using - http://www.idoodvd.com/index.htm (the free version) - even allows a 1:1 exact copy, which copies the video great but with NO audio.

I've tried another utility (forgot the name) with the same results, and I was about to try Premier Elements 12. But maybe someone here has some insight? Any clues here as to what I'm doing wrong? I guess this isn't too uncommon a problem, judging from some posts in this thread.

The original recording, BTW, is on a MiniDV from a consumer handycam. About 6-7 years ago.

Thanks.
    I realize this isn't what you want to hear and certainly not the fastest solution...

But if it were me and I kept getting out of sync rips, I'd rip it to avi, put in SAW, extract the audio, re-align it in SAW, render it to DV AVI and then convert it to whatever format you want to end up with via something like PavTube, or maybe Any Video Converter (AVCfree)... and be done with it.

At least realigning it in SAW is almost always painless, plus you can do a little (or a lot of) cleanup and/or enhancement of the audio track at the same time.

PavTube converts the SAW DV AVI files without flinching, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    I've used River Past Video Cleaner Lite for years with very few issues. Also, Vegas can work well by simply dragging the VOB files into the interface.
    I haven't tried reinstalling my old copy of Vegas 4 (or is it 5?) in a long while and never really knew its capabilities back whenever.

Are you talking about just any version of Vegas, Dave, or the current Sony offerings? Does dragging a vob file into Sony Movie Studio work as well?
    I don't remember if it accepts vob and I'm not able to get to the computer I have installed on for at least a few hours. I'm really curious to know what you know about it...

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I haven't tried reinstalling my old copy of Vegas 4 (or is it 5?) in a long while and never really knew its capabilities back whenever.

Are you talking about just any version of Vegas, Dave, or the current Sony offerings? Does dragging a vob file into Sony Movie Studio work as well?
    I don't remember if it accepts vob and I'm not able to get to the computer I have installed on for at least a few hours. I'm really curious to know what you know about it...
    I have Vegas 8, which is a few years old. Your version is from the 50's. I'm not sure which versions it works on. It works in Sound Forge 10, too. Also -- VLC, which has some conversion options. Don't know about Movie Studio, but I bet it works there, too. No apparent sync issues.

Some VOB files will even work in SAW's video viewer, but editing and playback, especially across splices, gets really dicey due to the poor frame-to-frame accessing of VOB's, as I understand it. Which seems odd, since you can do frame-at-a-time manipulation on a DVD player. Anyway, gave up using VOB's in SAW long ago. Way better after converting to DV AVI.

That's all I know.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I have Vegas 8, which is a few years old. Your version is from the 50's. I'm not sure which versions it works on. It works in Sound Forge 10, too. Also -- VLC, which has some conversion options. Don't know about Movie Studio, but I bet it works there, too. No apparent sync issues.

Some VOB files will even work in SAW's video viewer, but editing and playback, especially across splices, gets really dicey due to the poor frame-to-frame accessing of VOB's, as I understand it. Which seems odd, since you can do frame-at-a-time manipulation on a DVD player. Anyway, gave up using VOB's in SAW long ago. Way better after converting to DV AVI.

That's all I know.
    I checked again and I also have Vegas 5! That's probably from the early 60's, right? Maybe that will work.

I also have SoundForge 7.... Might have to try that once.

Yeah....... I gave up trying to do vob's in SAW early on. Sometimes I can get Nero Vision to deal with them............... if I don't drop more than two or three chapter markers in one. It also takes maybe up to a minute to refresh everytime I go from one work screen to the next, if I have more than one vob in the project.

I'll have to give Sony Movie a try next time I'm at that machine.

I checked again and I also have Vegas 5! That's probably from the early 60's, right? Maybe that will work.

I also have SoundForge 7.... Might have to try that once.

Yeah....... I gave up trying to do vob's in SAW early on. Sometimes I can get Nero Vision to deal with them............... if I don't drop more than two or three chapter markers in one. It also takes maybe up to a minute to refresh everytime I go from one work screen to the next, if I have more than one vob in the project.

I'll have to give Sony Movie a try next time I'm at that machine.
    Yes, Vegas 5 was released in the summer of 1963.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Yes, Vegas 5 was released in the summer of 1963.
    Wow! Just months before the Beatles came to New York for the first time! They rented out Electric Ladyland to record new tracks that Spring didn't they? Was it a PT studio by then?

Wow! Just months before the Beatles came to New York for the first time! They rented out Electric Ladyland to record new tracks that Spring didn't they? Was it a PT studio by then?
    They were still using Session 8, believe it or not.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Fancy that! A system, complete with 1.2GB scsi drive for under $10k!

Too early for the cool Concord F400 stereo cassette machine of my dad's that I learned about flanging on (playing a record and tape at the same time)..... which I'm sure the Beatles would have made good use of.

Fancy that! A system, complete with 1.2GB scsi drive for under $10k!

Too early for the cool Concord F400 stereo cassette machine of my dad's that I learned about flanging on (playing a record and tape at the same time)..... which I'm sure the Beatles would have made good use of.
    Nice.

I remember seeing a new (I think it was a) Sony product in a stereo store in maybe the early or middle 70s. From what I remember it was a quarter-inch tape format in not-so-compact cassettes. Anybody remember that?

UPDATE: fascinating. Apparently, the Elcaset is what I remember. Although it was based on a similar attempt some twenty years prior, the RCA Tape Cartridge. Both were attempts at getting the performance of 1/4" tape with the convenience of a cartridge. Both failed miserably in the marketplace.

Here's a pretty cool history of audio formats over time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_audio_formats
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 02-08-2014 at 09:29 PM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Nah, Soundstream Digital
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/