Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: OT: Camcorder with line in?

OK, so, WinDV is working great for MiniDV tape transfers
    I've simply got a FW cable 4pin i.link socket at camera to StarTech PCIe 6pin
    and transfer is so far painless...I will report back after I do a few tapes :-)

suffice to say, tho...SS I did not try again

Yep, WinDV
    it has worked fantastic so far for me; tiny app that makes MiniDV transfers on PC very, very easy

So I'm probably not going to use SS at all for my editing, beyond maybe checking/ editing audio levels

I will say the audio recording of the mic on the Panasonic NV-DS27 is surprisingly good!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd R View Post
    Digging up a zombie thread to illicit any advice from the knowledgeable SAW family.

I have finally gotten to a point of no return where some 2006-2009 recorded MiniDVs of mine need to be captured to be comped into other things.

Camera is a Panasonic NV-DS27

for the vision output to computer we are using the iDV 4 pin firewire port
    connected to StarTech FW PCIe card

seems audio won't transfer via the FW
    so, we are using 3 channel minijack to RCA cable for audio

Trying to capture via SS64, seems to record 3 frames of vision and then SS64 crashes

Tried VLC, but VLC gets its panties in a bunch on my Win10 machine

Is capturing the MiniDV tapes not possible or not suggested to be done using SS64?

Originally I came to see if HDCP was the issue, but isn't that a HDMI copy protection?

Hmmm...doing some research I see many holes in my knowledge and what I remember...I think I'm trying to capture to incorrect aspect ratio in SS64...I'll report back once success is achieved :-)
    Doing wild analog transfer to SAW would be a pretty fine fallback option, no? I bet the sync would be good for long stretches, requiring only occasional manual correction in post.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

My memory/sense is that SS video functionality, generally, works well in a fairly narrow set of workflows. My habit has always been to capture elsewhere, convert to a format that SAW likes, then go to town. Has worked well for me that way.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    My memory/sense is that SS video functionality, generally, works well in a fairly narrow set of workflows. My habit has always been to capture elsewhere, convert to a format that SAW likes, then go to town. Has worked well for me that way.
    thanks, Dave

that's my experience as well with SS

we're posting in Resolve so far
    I REALLY do not want to mix audio in Fairlight, tho!
    I might be able to get away with just Acon DeNoise to reduce the slide projector fan noise
    my film is an actual family slide show
    seriously, I'm shocked at how good the onboard Panasonic mic is

again, WinDV working great for transfers via a single FW cable

I love Resolve. Especially the price.

I hate Fairlight. I'm sure it's not as powerful or utilitous (new word?) as SAW+plugins; but, in fairness, if I knew it better, it might be okay for simple stuff. Damn learning curve strikes again!

Sorry if you already said, but why aren't you/didn't you doing/do the audio post for this in SAW?

Yeah, many of those little cam mics sound pretty dang good. And in sss ttt eee rrr eee ooo. I remember in the 70s using a little (mono) Radio Shack electret condenser mic with my "six-key" Realistic cassette recorder (forerunner of the Studer A820). It sounded surprisingly good, too, back then (though not as good as your Panasonic). So maybe it's that low-voltage condenser thing at work, and maybe--in the case of video cameras--getting helped out by that hypercardioid, shotgun-like affect. It's a good sound.

Glad you got the combined A/V capture working! FW rises from the dead! Annoying PITA averted!

my film is an actual family slide show
    Ah.

A few years back we did a big 80th b-day celebration for my dad with lots of surprise guests from his past in a big This-Is-Your-Life/PowerPoint production. Captured the evening very low-tech with a couple of set-and-forget handicams and two SM58s; one mic was my MC/guest-of-the-moment stage mic and the other was ten feet out in front of my mom and dad (seated front row center) pointed at them for reactions (poor man's MKH 416). So two audio tracks live into SAW on a laptop plus camera audio for backup and ambiance. I cut it in Resolve, mixed it in SAW. Whole thing came out to about 90 minutes. Lots of fun (and that learning curve; my first encounter with Resolve) playing with cropping, zooming, panning, split screens, etc. Most of that animated/automated. For no apparent reason. (A boy and his toys. That'd be me.) It went up on Youtube, and all the guests got the link a couple weeks later. Or was it months? But enough about me.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 03-19-2024 at 09:03 PM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

If there becomes a lot to do with audio post, I'll do it in SS. At least I can fly in SS...Fairlight?....yeech!

Our rushes are 4hrs. The intention is to add gfx to identify people in the photos...maybe identify vehicles and places as well

FW isn't too dead for me...I built this machine with a StarTech FW card because PreSonus FireStudio Mobiles that I have...which are currently unused