Close

Default OT- Neutrik OpticalCON

I've been looking at some of the Neutrik solutions and the OpticalCON stuff looks nice, but I don't see anything in their line that connects to a standard adat port. Does anyone if they have something for adat digital connection?

2. Default Re: OT- Neutrik OpticalCON

Don't know if they exist, but you'll probably have better luck if you search for the term toslink as those are the types of cables used to carry optical adat signals (and optical s/pdif).

Default Re: OT- Neutrik OpticalCON

The opticon line panel mounts are just feedthroughs. You would use an opticon cable on the outside and a toslink type of cable on the inside to go to your gear.
    Ben Farmer
    Omaha, NE
    ETCP Certified Entertainment Electrician

4. Default Re: OT- Neutrik OpticalCON

Quote Originally Posted by soundchicken View Post
    The opticon line panel mounts are just feedthroughs. You would use an opticon cable on the outside and a toslink type of cable on the inside to go to your gear.
    Nope. opticalCON connectors are for use with glass OM2/OM3 fiber optic systems that run on a completely different wavelength than the cheap toslink cables used for ADAT and S/PDIF

Mojogili wants this:

http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Audi...on/EHTL2.xhtml

Default Re: OT- Neutrik OpticalCON

I like the idea of having a couple of Neutrik Quad connectors on a panel at the back of my rack of mic pres, and then another setup on the back of a small computer rack. Two 3 space computers in a 6 space rack (one for redundancy). I could connect the two with two short Neutrik cables. 32 I/o. I just don't see a method for connecting the OpticalCon panel to the adat ports. The rear connection to panel adaptor does not look like an adat (toslink) port, as Phaseshifter mentioned.

6. Default Re: OT- Neutrik OpticalCON

Quote Originally Posted by mojogil View Post
    I like the idea of having a couple of Neutrik Quad connectors on a panel at the back of my rack of mic pres, and then another setup on the back of a small computer rack. Two 3 space computers in a 6 space rack (one for redundancy). I could connect the two with two short Neutrik cables. 32 I/o. I just don't see a method for connecting the OpticalCon panel to the adat ports. The rear connection to panel adaptor does not look like an adat (toslink) port, as Phaseshifter mentioned.
    It wont work.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

"The optical signal is a red light with a peak wavelength of 650 nm" (0.65 micron)

The Neutrik OpticalCON use OM3 fiber, which is 50 micron (50,000 nm) and is designed for lasers that have considerable more output power than the led based laser on a toslink transmitter.

You'd be best to just use the Switchcraft EHTL2 Toslink Feed-Thru Connectors or you'll have to use something like the appsys or audiorail snakes that do ADAT to cat5 conversion. Then you get even more freedom like being able to separate your mic pres from your host over long distances if required.