Close

Thread: TubeOpto Issues

Default TubeOpto Issues

Anyone else having clocking issues with recent TubeOpto 8s? I've had multiple failures of a recent batch (purchased 10/13, 4 units so far) with bad clicks and pops when synced to ADAT. Sometimes all LEDs in the clock source LED bank extinguish completely and remain off. Other times the yellow indicator remains lit solidly as if the unit is still properly clocked. At no time does the indicator blink to indicate that the clock is unavailable. Often, pressing the clock source button does nothing.

At least one unit frequently refuses to sync unless power cycled after the system is up, and it may or may not stay running properly thereafter.

I took the most recent failure home from church and the problem was definitely verified to be in the TubeOpto.

Two other units purchased 8/2013, as well as one in my personal rig purchased back in 2010, are working flawlessly.

Pehaps a bad batch? Serial numbers of the verified defective units are all in the S1301461xx range.
    Don

Asus PQ5E, Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16 GHz, 4Gb DDR2 1000 RAM, XP Pro SP3, RME RayDAT, 4 x ADA8000, WNDR3700

Sometimes the dragon wins...

Default Re: TubeOpto Issues

I had (have) 4 of those. They all went bad. I had ART repair a couple of them, but they went bad later. Those units suck bad. I use the Focusrite OctoPre Dynamic units now. They have worked perfectly, run cool and have had zero issues. The TubeOpto units are heavy, large, get really hot and then die. I won't ever use them again.

Quote Originally Posted by dbarrow View Post
    I had (have) 4 of those. They all went bad. I had ART repair a couple of them, but they went bad later. Those units suck bad. I use the Focusrite OctoPre Dynamic units now. They have worked perfectly, run cool and have had zero issues. The TubeOpto units are heavy, large, get really hot and then die. I won't ever use them again.
    I have 6 that I use a couple times a week at church that are working fine. I also have a portable system with 4 that the only issue I had was a couple channels had a bad LED, but the feature worked. I sent it back to ART for repair and had it back fixed in a couple of weeks. Those units were over 2 years old at the time and still within the 3 year warranty. The ones at church are about 2 years old now.

They do run warm and are large/heavy, but I like the fact that they extend to the back of a typical portable rack rig as I can easily reach the connectors.

Hope this helps,
    Jeff

7th Voice FOH/Mon/Sys Tech
    www.7thVoice.net
    www.reverbnation.com/7thvoice

SAC Installation:
    Dell Optiplex 990, Intel i5/4GB RAM
    3xMOTU 2408, PCI-424x card, 6x ART TubeOpto8, 2x Motormix

SAC Portable Rig:
    IBM ThinkCentre M50 3.2GHz/4GB RAM
    2x MOTU 2408/PCI-424x card, 2x ART TubeOpto8, 2x M-Audio Profire 2626
    Yamaha Promix01 controller, EWI Tourcase
    CUDJ-P-22.

The problem is the bad Wavefront adat chips ART seems to have got a bad batch
    Just send them in and they will usually replace the ADAT board
    I now have 9 of them that have been working great for at least 2 years but I had to replace 3 of the ADAT boards to get good ones

Butch

Thanks to all for the responses, it is very much appreciated. And thanks, Butch, for confirming what I was suspecting about a lot problem...I'll get in touch with my supplier (again) about warranty replacement.
    Don

Asus PQ5E, Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16 GHz, 4Gb DDR2 1000 RAM, XP Pro SP3, RME RayDAT, 4 x ADA8000, WNDR3700

Sometimes the dragon wins...