Close

Default RME HDSPe and Digiface don't work on Windows 8.1 notebook

I have an RME HDSPe ExpressCard and Digiface connected to a Focusrite via ADAT cable. This doesn't work with SAC (or any other program) on a notebook running Windows 8.1. Totalmix works correctly and the drivers show up in SAC and other programs, but there is no sound passed to or from any programs. The same setup runs fine on another notebook running Windows 7. I have the latest drivers and firmware. I can move the RME hardware back and forth between the Windows 7 computer and the Windows 8.1 computer. It works on 7, not on 8.1. I RayDAT cards in two other computers that work fine with the current drivers, firmware an Windows 8.1. They all use the same drivers. I am perplexed. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I haven't gotten a reply from RME yet.

2. Default Re: RME HDSPe and Digiface don't work on Windows 8.1 notebook

Is Win 8.1 seeing the RME card as a sound device? Can you select it as the default audio device?

Default Re: RME HDSPe and Digiface don't work on Windows 8.1 notebook

Yes, but no sound in or out of programs. The RME hardware shows up, Totalmix works, but no sound in or out of any programs, no meter deflection and SAC reports "0%" load. Pressing play in Foobar when the RME HDSPe is selected as output does nothing and there is no progress indication of a file playing. It's as if the driver is live, but has no actual sync reference. Everything works perfectly on another computer running Windows 7.

4. Default Re: RME HDSPe and Digiface don't work on Windows 8.1 notebook

Is the Win 7 machine 64 bit?

5. Default Re: RME HDSPe and Digiface don't work on Windows 8.1 notebook

Quote Originally Posted by dbarrow View Post
    Yes, but no sound in or out of programs. The RME hardware shows up, Totalmix works, but no sound in or out of any programs, no meter deflection and SAC reports "0%" load. Pressing play in Foobar when the RME HDSPe is selected as output does nothing and there is no progress indication of a file playing. It's as if the driver is live, but has no actual sync reference. Everything works perfectly on another computer running Windows 7.
    When you are using Foobar for playback (with SAC not open), do you see meter activity in Totalmix?

Yes, everything shows up in Totalmix, all inputs, S/PDIF, etc., just no audio in or out to ANY Windows program. Foobar, Soundforge, SAC, etc. won't even play out of the WDM driver channels. Foobar reports an "unrecoverable error". EVERYTHING works perfectly on the other computer under Windows 7. I have phone and email conversations going with the ADK Computer people, who sold me the two notebooks and Mathisas Carstens at RME. They can't figure it out either. To me, it looks like the RME driver doesn't actually work with the ExpressCard and Digiface under Windows 8.1.

RME updated the driver to 3.40. Now there are no error messages running Foobar with the WDM outputs, but still no audio in or out to any Windows program with either the WDM drivers or the ASIO drivers. Does ANYONE have RME ExpressCard w/ Digiface running in Windows 8.1?

I've got the RME /Express card as well as the Older style card (PCMIAA???...whatever....)running into laptops connected to a Digiface . However both laptops are running XP. No issues with either.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

Yes, I have had the ExpressCard and Digiface running on Windows 7 for years. I can't get it running on Windows 8.1 and I have yet to find anyone else that has it working on 8.1. The guys at RME say it should work, but I think something is missing in the driver, specifically for the ExpressCard. The same driver works just fine on several other computers with RayDAT cards. No go with the ExpressCard. If you know ANYONE that has the ExpressCard working in 8.1, I would sure appreciate them stepping forward or send me their contact info.