Close

1. Default Windows 8.1 slipping buffers like crazy on screen activity

I upgraded my SAC system from XP to Windows 8.1 (wanted the usb 3 support while tracking down to SAW). I've done all the tweaks from SAC manual but I'm getting tons of slipped buffers on certain situation. If I run the SAC and don't twiddle too much on the screen I might get few slipped buffers and all is fine. But if I slap something like Meldaproductions MDynamicEq on a channel and start tweaking it's UI, I'll get few _thousands_ of slipped buffers in no time. This is something that used to work perfectly on XP.

So something is definitely wonky on graphics side, but any ideas how to try troubleshoot/fix this issue?

Cheers,
    jokke

Default Re: Windows 8.1 slipping buffers like crazy on screen activity

Start by making sure you're using the latest graphics driver available rather than the win8 included driver.

hy Yogi,

what sound card use your system?

Do I understand correctly?: You're using a computer that had XP on it (probably several years old?) to run Win8.1? What on that computer supports USB3?
    Currently using:
    T43p Thinkpad w/XP SP3 for FOH, Subs and Front Fill Mixes (20% CPU load);
    T500 Thinkpad w/Win7 SP1 for 6 Monitor Mixes (15% CPU load)
    Running at 2x32
    2 Digifaces, 1 w/CardBus, 1 w/ExpressCard
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;
    1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all FOH sends; 1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all Monitor sends;

5. Default Re: Windows 8.1 slipping buffers like crazy on screen activity

Quote Originally Posted by Mattseymour View Post
    Start by making sure you're using the latest graphics driver available rather than the win8 included driver.
    Yes, that's it! Win 8.1 installer had installed Nvidias driver which I incorrectly thought was the right one. Downloaded driver from Nvidias site and now SAC is not slipping any buffers. Yay.

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post
    Do I understand correctly?: You're using a computer that had XP on it (probably several years old?) to run Win8.1? What on that computer supports USB3?
    I'm using Asus P8P67 PRO B3 rev which has USB3 support on mobo.

Cheers,
    Jokke

Quote Originally Posted by yogi_kenobi View Post
    Yes, that's it! Win 8.1 installer had installed Nvidias driver which I incorrectly thought was the right one. Downloaded driver from Nvidias site and now SAC is not slipping any buffers. Yay.

Cheers,
    Jokke
    Thanks, Yogi (and all). I wonder if that solution would apply also when just using onboard Asus Z87 Plus motherboard graphics out with my LG and Viewsonic monitors?? Or, should I install the graphics stuff from my monitor CDs, or something from the Asus Z87 mobo CD????

(I had let Win8.1 handle it all upon install without even looking to see what was on the Monitor CD or the Mobo CD.... and after doing all the recommended 8.1 tweaks, I still get slipped buffers).
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

I would always go to the chip maker for the driver where possible. Most motherboard manufacturers don't update the drivers on their website for older boards.

There are a few device makers that don't always give you drivers, such as Broadcom, but most do.

So for your nvidia card, get the drivers from them, same for a Realtek Nic or intel graphics.

All that said if it's for an appliance machine such as a SAC host there's wisdom in sticking with drivers that work so if what came on the install media works nicely, don't update.
    Last edited by Mattseymour; 06-15-2014 at 01:18 AM.