Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: Best current wireless headset mic for musical theater

Thanks all for the great info. I will explore some of the suggestions

Hal

Default Re: Best current wireless headset mic for musical theater

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    That Earset mic on the CAD system is just an AT model rebranded. Which doesn't really surprise me since they two companies are maybe 20 mins away from each other or so. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire wireless system is just a rebadged AT unit.
    Their RF engineer was hired away from AT so no wonder they are similar or the same either way it works good

Butch

3. Default Re: Best current wireless headset mic for musical theater

The DPA model number that Richard was not recalling is the 4066. That is the omni pattern headset mic. They sound great but are very expensive.

To add to the budget headset list, check out the Samson SE10. It's $100, comes with a carrying case and four different adapters that allow it to fit almost any transmitter pack. It is a single-ear headset that has a unique mounting system which holds the mic to the ear, forgoing the need for tape under most circumstances, even in musical theater. It also sounds decent. It's stiff and, while adjustable, isn't as pliable as the Microphone Madness headsets.
    I've found the Microphone Madness headsets to be too pliable. They can easily get bent out of position which isn't desirable on performers who have many costume changes or a lot of physical interactions on stage with other performers.

Quote Originally Posted by airickess View Post
    To add to the budget headset list, check out the Samson SE10. It's $100, comes with a carrying case and four different adapters that allow it to fit almost any transmitter pack.
    How would you characterize the sound vs the MMAudio and E6 mics? Have you also had chance to compare to the SE50?

I've found the Microphone Madness headsets to be too pliable. They can easily get bent out of position which isn't desirable on performers who have many costume changes or a lot of physical interactions on stage with other performers.
    This is true, hence my "can be good or bad" comment. Weekly sermons or skits at church are no problem, however, we have had occasion during our biannual major dramas, which are more theatrical in nature, where they have been bent outward during costume changes. Not a *huge* deal, but you're right that a stiffer mic would not have as much of an issue.

I am surprised, though, how few theatrical productions in regional and even Broadway theater forego the earset or headset mics for a B3 taped along the cheek. Then again, in high action it's probably more secure.

Jeff

7th Voice FOH/Mon/Sys Tech
    www.7thVoice.net
    www.reverbnation.com/7thvoice

SAC Installation:
    Dell Optiplex 990, Intel i5/4GB RAM
    3xMOTU 2408, PCI-424x card, 6x ART TubeOpto8, 2x Motormix

SAC Portable Rig:
    IBM ThinkCentre M50 3.2GHz/4GB RAM
    2x MOTU 2408/PCI-424x card, 2x ART TubeOpto8, 2x M-Audio Profire 2626
    Yamaha Promix01 controller, EWI Tourcase
    CUDJ-P-22.

5. Default Re: Best current wireless headset mic for musical theater

Just my experiences.

I have used the Samson SE10 a couple times and I find it stays put better than any other single ear mic and the sound quality is pretty good. At $100 with the different adapters it is a good value to me.

I have a couple MM mics for Senn packs. They both have a much lower output than the stock lavs and they both have a very low level slow clicking. Barely noticeable but there. Too easy to bend. Won't buy any more.

Bought a half dozen or so YPA headsets. None held up very well. cords and adapters crapped out. All in the trash now!

Have about 14 of the Pulse brand (china?) from MCM electronics. Sound pretty good and are holding up well. Only fatalities are from abuse from kids. Double under the ear so they don't look too bad. My go to mics right now.

Countryman E6, what can I say about the sound quality? Pretty much the best of the bunch. Don't really like them for kids in a musical because too much work to fit and then always have to tape in place. Most unobtrusive but delicate cords and to much taping does not make them my favorite for what I do. In a church with a mic dedicated to one person this is my first choice.

Larry B.
    YMMV
    SAC RIG: ASUS PQ5-SE/R E8500 4GIG RAM WIN XP RME DIGI9652 3-ADA8000 DBX DRIVERACK260 12U RACK CASE SAC & SAW studiolite.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryBfaderJockey View Post
    I have a couple MM mics for Senn packs. They both have a much lower output than the stock lavs and they both have a very low level slow clicking. Barely noticeable but there. Too easy to bend. Won't buy any more.
    Hmm...we have the Sennheiser packs with them as well, but haven't noticed any low level clicking. That does remind me that we did have some early issues with the 3.5mm adapters being just a hair loose even when the thumbscrew is tightened to the belt pack. Made for some loud pops in some mics, but we swapped some around and found good fits that fixed the issue. Later purchases didn't have this problem so I guess my tech support calls prompted them to look into their connector quality control.

Have about 14 of the Pulse brand (china?) from MCM electronics. Sound pretty good and are holding up well. Only fatalities are from abuse from kids. Double under the ear so they don't look too bad. My go to mics right now.
    Have to look at them, thanks.

Jeff

7th Voice FOH/Mon/Sys Tech
    www.7thVoice.net
    www.reverbnation.com/7thvoice

SAC Installation:
    Dell Optiplex 990, Intel i5/4GB RAM
    3xMOTU 2408, PCI-424x card, 6x ART TubeOpto8, 2x Motormix

SAC Portable Rig:
    IBM ThinkCentre M50 3.2GHz/4GB RAM
    2x MOTU 2408/PCI-424x card, 2x ART TubeOpto8, 2x M-Audio Profire 2626
    Yamaha Promix01 controller, EWI Tourcase
    CUDJ-P-22.

7. Default Re: Best current wireless headset mic for musical theater

Quote Originally Posted by jlklein View Post
    How would you characterize the sound vs the MMAudio and E6 mics? Have you also had chance to compare to the SE50?
    I think they are equal or maybe just a hair better than the Microphone Madness headsets. They seem to have a bit higher output.
    I've not heard the SE50.

I'd take an E6 over the SE10, but I must agree with a previous poster that the ear mounting of the SE10 is actually superior to the E6.

I have used the Countryman E2 headset as well. It's very unobtrusive but has less gain before feedback because of the position in which it sits. They are great for use with well-tuned P.A.s and performers with big voices - that means they aren't for everyone.

8. Default Re: Best current wireless headset mic for musical theater

So far I always used the dpa 4066 and they just work and sound very well.
    Intel DH55HC, i5-650, 4GB, XP Home 32, 2* RME HDSP9652, 1* RayDat, ASUS VH168, 2* Lenovo LT1421, CM Motormix
    Albert-AV remote controlled Stageboxes via Cat5e
    Lexicon MX400, ValhallaRoom, Reverberate; PSP N20, Nitro, 608MD, oldTimer, BussPressor; Voxengo LFMax, SoundDelay; Plogue Bidule

Quote Originally Posted by Mathis View Post
    So far I always used the dpa 4066 and they just work and sound very well.
    Very true but would you want to supply 20 of them for a kids show with a LOW budget

Butch