Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: OT: long multicore mic cable run

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    You could always twist 'em up, and if you don't like it, untwist 'em.
    Good point.
    I was thinking about testing them out before I committed. Guess I could even use clip leads and avoid soldering until I've decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ray View Post
    The Mogami that I have used is the standard "stage use" product. That may be what you have already been or intend to use. The only noticeable thing I have noticed is some loss of the Low Bass signal when above 100 to 120 foot distances (50 hz and below). Depending on mics used, that part of the sound spectrum may already be cut some what. (Cardiod mics)
    Got me looking up the differences on Mogami's website. The twisted pairs used as a single lead might be good for my use in the 2931 (4-ch) that I've got. But for sure the strength of the cable to resist abuse is less than that of their stage mic cables. Thanks for the observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    if you don't like it, untwist 'em.
    & SHOUT
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

I would say do not solder two pairs together. It is not going to make your signal quality any better and in fact it might do more harm than good. Quad core cables are nice and they do reject noise better but they also often have higher capacitance per foot and you can lose more high frequency information. Not that big of a deal with only a 100 ft run. Yes your total run is 300' but this cable is only going to make a difference one way or the other in that last 100'.

By joining what is meant to be two separate pairs you're basically creating a cable with some very odd twisting. As other have point out, quad cables are twisted to help benefit noise rejection. But two parallel pairs in the same multi-cable were never intended to work that way.

I would just wire up all 4 pairs and then you have some spare capacity. If on line dies, you have 2 spares. Need another channel a year or two down the road... no problem. Use it on other gigs as need.

Don't worry about a 300' run. It sounds like you're running line level audio thru it anyway, so it really shouldn't matter. In many venues I've worked the mic lines were at least 250' of copper to the mix position and while I would never say it was never an issue, I can count on one hand how many times I remember it being an issue. And those are with mic level signals. Once you're up to line level audio signals this really shouldn't be a problem.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/