Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Dante Compatibility

Hi Bob,

I've been working on several projects where SAC is still the best fit. I was wondering if you've had any luck incorporating Dante hardware into your system?

I'm here at InfoComm and the Focusrite guy, said you've been working on it.

Will it be possible to route some inputs and outputs to and from a Dante card in a system that's currently using the RME RayDAT?

Smile Re: Dante Compatibility

I think my question may have been answered in seminar. Dante Via is a new feature that allows you to assign by application, but Bob is really the only one who knows for sure.

Default Re: Dante Compatibility

You should be able to use the Dante audio card and their driver to act just like any other soundcard... although that would mean that only one driver at a time can be used... so it would be either the RME or the Dante.

Personally, I have not seen a good and stable Dante setup in SAC yet... still hoping to see one soon though.

Bob L

Is there any reason you would not be able to use Dante Virtual Soundcard with SAC? I've not tried it, but I have it on my PC and it shows up as an optional input in SAC's setup. I just haven't had any hardware to try it with yet.

Jeff

7th Voice FOH/Mon/Sys Tech
    www.7thVoice.net
    www.reverbnation.com/7thvoice

SAC Installation:
    Dell Optiplex 990, Intel i5/4GB RAM
    3xMOTU 2408, PCI-424x card, 6x ART TubeOpto8, 2x Motormix

SAC Portable Rig:
    IBM ThinkCentre M50 3.2GHz/4GB RAM
    2x MOTU 2408/PCI-424x card, 2x ART TubeOpto8, 2x M-Audio Profire 2626
    Yamaha Promix01 controller, EWI Tourcase
    CUDJ-P-22.

In theory that should work, but in practice I believe there can be latency issues. It probably depends a lot on the NIC being used. That's why the focusrite rednet card exists, at such an astronomical price. Essentially I suspect it's a standard ethernet card but with tricked drivers so windows doesn't try to use it for networking.

Interestingly OS X now has AVB built in and AVB compliant NIC in macs built since 2011. Since Dante is supposed to be AVB compatible, it'll be interesting to see if MS build AVB into the next windows.
    Last edited by Mattseymour; 06-18-2014 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jlklein View Post
    Is there any reason you would not be able to use Dante Virtual Soundcard with SAC? I've not tried it, but I have it on my PC and it shows up as an optional input in SAC's setup. I just haven't had any hardware to try it with yet.

Jeff
    Way too much latency in any set up of the Dante VSC. It's fine for recording or playback, but not mixing. I don't think that was ever their intent to route through the VSC.

I suspect this is why Focusrite went out and made their own hardware card. That REDNet stuff has always been very appealing to me, but no one seems to have wanted to be the guinea pig and open their wallet. At least not with regards to SAC.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Digigrid will be another option for Dante enabled devices.

Quote Originally Posted by kylesoundman View Post
    Digigrid will be another option for Dante enabled devices.
    Where do you see that? I just looked at the web site and only see a MADI to USB I/O device.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    Where do you see that? I just looked at the web site and only see a MADI to USB I/O device.
    http://www.digigrid.net

Waves hasn***8217;t released the hardware yet, you can preorder. I talked to Waves and they claimed to be shipping in a couple months.

Its going to be really interesting to see how the digigrid stuff combined with soundgrid server works. I also have a hunch that Waves has teamed up with Slate to utilize the Raven for controlling the Waves eMotion ST and eMotion LV1 Mixer software that will be released with the hardware. If my hunch is right, it could really turn into the most flexible mixing/recording solution ever made, that also truly makes the line between the stage and the studio non existent. Time will tell