Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Stuttering audio and slipped output buffers

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

The serial ports are running at 150MB/s (ICH5).

What is make/model of the HD?

I would suggest trying the following:
    Make sure HDD SMART Capability is disabled.
    I would try disabling the on-Chip Primary and Secondary PCI IDE when only using a SATA HD.
    * Are you using an IDE CD? If you are, try disconnecting it and see if the above helps.
    Also, try using SATA only for the On-Chip Serial ATA.
    Make sure the Onboard Promise RAID Ctrl is disabled.

Hope this helps?
    The onboard raid ctrl is one of the main settings I didn't understand and didn't want to mess with until I found an answer. Unfortunately, every web search I've done about it always returns results about how to use it, but not when it should be disabled.

If you understand the whole raid-thing and can describe to me in fairly simple terms in relation to how I might want it set up when using both IDE and SATA HDs, I'd appreciate gaining some understanding on the subject from you. This was a turnkey system and set up specifically for me to use with SAW back in 2004. I learned an awful lot from the guy who put it together and helped me maintain it for a few years, but I've completely lost touch with him. Any changes I make to it now, I do with great caution - not wanting to ruin an otherwise stellar performer, for its age.

HDD SMART I don't recall seeing, but I can check it out as soon as I get set back up for more testing.
    I've been wanting to avoid the need to start from a clean slate for the reasons mentioned, so I've left the C-drive as IDE on purpose. I suppose I could consider changing the whole thing over to SATA (the dvd drive is also ide, by the way)... Is the possible benefit worth the trouble of porting over my c-drive to a new sata?
    IDE dvd drive, like I mentioned - I could try disconnecting and see.
    Can I set On-Chip Serial ATA to SATA only, if using a combination of ide and sata? Didn't think I could..... unless I'm not remembering what that setting is about.
    Go easy on me a little bit, as I've only learned what I know from hard knocks and only when I get knocked by something. Fortunately, I've got a thick skull, so it hasn't crushed the brain just yet.
    I can handle a fair bit of new discovery - I like the challenge. I tread very lightly, though, when it comes to the main machines. I've beaten up my general duty machines fairly regularly and learned to take risks with them - maybe not the best strategy, but it's worked okay so far.

Blog Entries

Hello,

Most of the info I gleaned from the MB Manual - which I obtained from the Internet.

If you PM me and give me your phone number, I would prefer to dialog with you on the phone sometime. I have unlimited toll-free calling in the US and Canada.

Would love to help you in any way that I am able.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Hello,

Most of the info I gleaned from the MB Manual - which I obtained from the Internet.

If you PM me and give me your phone number, I would prefer to dialog with you on the phone sometime. I have unlimited toll-free calling in the US and Canada.

Would love to help you in any way that I am able.
    Great! Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it later next month, since it will be that long before I can free this machine up.

Just for the sake of the update -
    I've got it running normally again, with the ide drive back in place. I'm satisfied for now that it will get me through the next couple of gigs. Now I can go back to checking cables, etc.