Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transfering wave files to another computer

Hi Folk, I'm new to SAW and would like to know how to send files to another SAW user? I mean the individual tracks. Thank Tim S
    Last edited by Tim S; 11-25-2014 at 05:54 AM.

Default Re: Transfering wave files to another computer

A very straightforward and simple method would be to use the Process/Mixdown menu choices - Export Tracks To SoundFiles (with or without processing). This solution renders every channel (or every channel you first select by blackening the channel number in the MultiTrack view [MT]) to an individual, standard .wav file.

You can set up the destination Build Mix Sample Rate Quality from that menu as well and also set your desired sample rate and resolution (bit rate) using the MultiTrack menu selections before performing the export. This can be done regardless of whether you choose to export with/without processing. I find this feature useful as a simple sample rate converter sometimes.

There are other methods, depending on what you're starting with and what your goals are, but this method is very simple and will render each track as a complete soundfile of only that data which is in play on the MT and its current virtual layer.

Hope this helps get you started.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    A very straightforward and simple method would be to use the Process/Mixdown menu choices - Export Tracks To SoundFiles (with or without processing). This solution renders every channel (or every channel you first select by blackening the channel number in the MultiTrack view [MT]) to an individual, standard .wav file.

You can set up the destination Build Mix Sample Rate Quality from that menu as well and also set your desired sample rate and resolution (bit rate) using the MultiTrack menu selections before performing the export. This can be done regardless of whether you choose to export with/without processing. I find this feature useful as a simple sample rate converter sometimes.

There are other methods, depending on what you're starting with and what your goals are, but this method is very simple and will render each track as a complete soundfile of only that data which is in play on the MT and its current virtual layer.

Hope this helps get you started.
    What he said. With a small (and possibly unneeded) correction: rather than rendering channels (a mixer reference), this function renders specific tracks (a multitrack reference) when you select track numbers (or all tracks if you don't select any). Since there's a one-to-one correspondence between MT tracks and mixer channels, the terms are often used interchangeably. And I will not rest until this practice is eradicated.

Actually, it kinda matters here, because the with/without variations of the track export function may/may not (respectively) involve the mixer.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Thanks to both of you who responded. It worked very well.

I have now run into another problem I could use some help on. I'm trying to use the Windows side(bootcamp) to load SAWBasic on to with Windows 7. I'm trying to get away from my laptop that has Windows 8 which I don't care for.
    When I start from the SAW web site and follow the prompts it all seems to go well until I hit setup and then it takes me to video download window which looks very suspicious.

When I try this I get a a window asking me to download a "Video Down loader" software and when I click out it closes all windows and SAW goes away. Any ideas? Thanks, Tim

So, just to see what you might be up against, Tim, I went to the SAWW website and downloaded the SAWBasic Demo - I assume that's what you're saying that you tried to do?

I'm on a Windows 7 desktop and NOT using bootcamp, so maybe there's some difference I am unaware of?

Anyway, the download went just as I expected for me... I clicked on the Basic Demo Link on this page: http://www.sawstudio.com/downloads_demos.htm

I got the little Windows what to do with the file query at the bottom of my browser window. I chose Save As, browsed to the location on my hard drive to save the file and continued to download the demo. Win7 ran a security scan and all was fine and done.

What you're describing sounds like something you might get from cnet, or some other software hosting place that I try to avoid as much as possible, if for no other reason than it's so difficult to know which link I'm actually clicking on - chances being very great that it's NOT the link I intended to find.

Could you elaborate some?

Put the installer in its own folder if not it may try to run another program

Butch

Quote Originally Posted by Tim S View Post
    Hi Folk, I'm new to SAW and would like to know how to send files to another SAW user? I mean the individual tracks. Thank Tim S
    Am I missing something here.. You have a folder with the SAW project, it contains all of the individual tracks along with the SAW EDL file. Just zip the entire folder and send it to your other SAW user.

They unzip the folder and just like magic have the entire SAW project along with all the individual tracks.

?????
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Am I missing something here.. You have a folder with the SAW project, it contains all of the individual tracks along with the SAW EDL file. Just zip the entire folder and send it to your other SAW user.

They unzip the folder and just like magic have the entire SAW project along with all the individual tracks.

?????
    You are most certainly correct, if the destination is another SAW user, except if the destination user is using a version of SAW which has fewer track/channels.

I completely missed the part where the OP says the other user is a SAW user..... thanks for making me go back and re-read that original post now.
    Last edited by UpTilDawn; 11-28-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Make sure you cancel any plug ins the receiving SAW user doesn't have.
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Thanks to you guys for helping out. I was able to put Saw in its own folder and downloaded it that way. I'm new to SAW and appreciate the help. Tim