Close

Default Video Lag - System Setup Fix

Hey All,

Thought I'd post this for others that may run into a similar issue.

please keep in mind that this may only apply to ASUS motherboards and maybe only a subset of those as well as I don't know if the BIOS options for the other systems are similar. However, I suspect that there will be similar options on all motherboards that support intel processors with built-in GPUs.

My configuration:
    • ASUS P7M55D-M EVO and P7M55D-M Pro
    • Intel core i5 650 3.2GHz using the on-board GPU
    • WinXP service pack 3

I've been fighting with a video lag problem ever since my SSD drive failed on my SAC system. I did a full re-install of all software (and added 2 backup drives at the same time).

However, I was having an ongoing issue with mouse screen lag. When the system would first boot, I didn't have any trouble moving the mouse or selecting controls, but after a while (sometimes a very short while), there was a nasty lag in the mouse movement along with the mouse skipping across the screen. This made it very unpleasant to try and adjust faders and such.

I had some marginal improvement by adjusting the graphics display settings from 32-bit down to 16-bit, and had adjusted the bios video RAM setting up to what I believed was the max setting of 256MB.

I finally had an opportunity to do some more testing of this over the weekend and discovered that I had in fact not set the BIOS video setting to what I believe to be the appropriate configuration.

The options where 128MB, 256MB and Maximum DVMT.

The video RAM setting should have been set to "Maximum DVMT"
    • Allows the system to dynamically allocate memory resources according to the demands of the system.

I've had the system running for a couple of hours here at my studio and so far everything is now working as expected.

The only thing left to fix at this point is adding AHCI support which would improve the performance of the hard drives. I've been toying with the idea of trying win7 which has AHCI support built-in, but haven't set aside enough time to go through that process yet.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 10-27-2014 at 01:27 AM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

2. Default Re: Video Lag - System Setup Fix

I've been running SAC with Win7 Pro 64-bit on my ASUS mobo for years with no issues whatsoever.