Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: OT: file copy protection from USB device

The only way I can think of to do this is:

1) encrypt the media files on the USB device
    2) Have a player with the encryption keys built in that can decrypt and play the files from the USB device (content could still be captured)
    3) Provide a decryption program (separately or built into the copy utility) that can decrypt the files when provided with the correct password.

I am not aware of any "off the shelf" applications that could do this, but a turn key solution could probably be assembled from existing parts - it would not have to be coded from scratch. Of course, you'd be limited to playing the media with the provided player and it would still be possible to capture the player output and record the content that way. Other than that, the protection would be as good as the encryption (or the ease of reverse engineering the player or copy utility to extract the encryption keys)

My $0.02 (Canadian Tire),
    John

Not as elegant as what you're looking for, but how about watermarking the audio on the USB drive and giving them access via FTP/password. Brain showering here ... not enough grey matter left for an entire storm.
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

This is great for the password protected side, but doesn't provide a way for the client to play the audio without the password.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone.

Encryption and password access to even look at the files on the drive are not an option. I was hoping for something similar to USBlocker that would pop up only upon trying to use the copy command.

I shouldn't have used the word "protection" in the subject line. I know there is nothing to stop someone from finding another way to copy the files. But by adding a hurdle or two, I hope to slow them down. Maybe even make them think about what they are doing.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Without knowing your exact objective I offer this thought. If you are offering something like .wav files perhaps you could put them into a password protected folder and put lower bit rate .mp3 files in the clear for a preview. The .mp3s would be good enough for casual listening but not something you would want to import into a DAW if higher quality files were readily available.

I'm assuming that you've already thought about an online service that would allow the client to preview the files but not download them? And then just use a password protected FTP site for download?

You could basically make a web page that autoloads when a thumb drive is inserted. I've done the same thing for sending a portfolio out for job apps in the past. All they would needs is web browser to listen to the files. But I don't know how you could make it so they couldn't simply dig into the folders on the drive and copy the files without going through the web pages that load.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

I think Richard's got a good idea.
    In reading I was also thinking about iTunes m4p files.

"M4P stands for MPEG 4 Protected (audio). The M4P file extension is seen in an Apple iTunes purchased song which uses Apples “Fairplay” DRM (digital rights management). Unprotected AAC files have an M4A extension."

I just copy/pasted that.

But basically it seems to be inherent in the player or the file type itself which has been designed for copy protection. The m4p won't prevent a move or copy, but it will make it unplayable.

I have a feeling that this is old news for you though...

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    I'm assuming that you've already thought about an online service that would allow the client to preview the files but not download them? And then just use a password protected FTP site for download?

You could basically make a web page that autoloads when a thumb drive is inserted. I've done the same thing for sending a portfolio out for job apps in the past. All they would needs is web browser to listen to the files. But I don't know how you could make it so they couldn't simply dig into the folders on the drive and copy the files without going through the web pages that load.
    That seems like a smart viable option. With a few little helps she could add a simple stuff that would give her the IP and (possibly) and name (entered in text box) which she could require for download or listening.
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

The only other idea I've had is maybe some kind of embedded player... On a quick google search I didn't find anything but maybe that will spawn some ideas for you.

This idea is being abandoned. Not enough transparency to the end user. Thank you all for your ideas!
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com