Close

Default The levelizer is still brilliant.

So I was bored tonight and I was browsing this thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...is-thread.html

Go ahead, browse it. Look at all the distortion, aliasing and general destruction most compressors/limiters bath your finely tuned audio in.

So I opened up Fabfilter Pro-L, one of my favorite limiters and one that is very well received by most engineers. I also compared the levelizer and the Awida L1V You can also reference the dozens of tests in the linked thread... but I think the images speak for themselves.

Pretty good I much prefer the sound of the Levelizer personally, but the L1V appears to be extraordinarily transparent within the confines of this test. I am wondering if I somehow screwed something up, but I checked myself a few times and it's just that clean.

edit: I'm aware that Pro-L is doing about 2db more gain reduction, but it doesn't affect the result at all in this case. I went back and double checked. Even at 10db GR, the levelizer is still significantly cleaner than Pro-L at 2db GR (or most of the plug-ins out there at all!)

edit 2: forget that last edit. I fixed the levelizer image so it has the same attack, release, makeup gain and GR. Looks (and sounds) even better still.

edit 3: uploaded the wrong image. derp.

edit 4: added the Anwida L1V. no harmonics, no aliasing. impressively transparent in this test.
    Last edited by AudioAstronomer; 12-18-2014 at 07:52 PM.
    Lovingly signed,
    Robert Randolph

Default Re: The levelizer is still brilliant.

I've often thought that Bob should make the Levelizer available as a VST plug-in for use in any DAW, not just SAW.

Blog Entries

Interesting stuff Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtZHP View Post
    I've often thought that Bob should make the Levelizer available as a VST plug-in for use in any DAW, not just SAW.
    It would definitely sell.

I think people would also really appreciate the pop-up value menus as well. A very useful feature that not many (any?) vsts have.

Oh well though... we get it all for ourselves for now.
    Lovingly signed,
    Robert Randolph

Quote Originally Posted by AudioAstronomer View Post
    It would definitely sell.

I think people would also really appreciate the pop-up value menus as well. A very useful feature that not many (any?) vsts have.

Oh well though... we get it all for ourselves for now.
    I agree. While I've been doing most of my work in...The-DAW-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named...lately, and have a zillion plugins, I frequently miss the Levelizer.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a stand alone. If you remember back to when Bob wrote levelizer, sawpro's engine was redesigned to advance buffers to give it lookahead capabilities. I have a feeling that this functionality is somewhat unique to saw - or if everything else about saw is taken as an indication, the way he did it is. I have not used many other daws - but others I remember seemed to read entire projects to preprocess which made you wait seconds for playback to commence as opposed to saw which does it on the fly and just goes - and isn't this saw's best feature? How do standard plugins handle time delay issues that a plug like a look-ahead compressor presents?

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    How do standard plugins handle time delay issues that a plug like a look-ahead compressor presents?
    The buss latency is calculated and the track is played 'ahead of time' by that amount. It can also be done 'in reverse'.

edit: slightly more complex requiring pre-buffers for certain mixer topologies... but that's the basic idea of how it's done in most hosts.
    Last edited by AudioAstronomer; 12-20-2014 at 03:18 PM.
    Lovingly signed,
    Robert Randolph