Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New Rig

Blog Entries

Default My New Rig

Hello,
    Here are some images of my new SAC Rig.

Image 1 and 3: As can be seen, there are 2-2U rack spaces available above each side. These are for two 2U rack mount drawer units. If anyone knows of a used pair or of a good location to obtain these at a reasonable price, I would appreciate it.

Image 1 and 3: There are two 1U blank panels (Images 1 and 3) on the right to accommodate future growth. The panel below the ADA is for the four returns.

Image 4: Shows the 2-3" HD castors for transportation.

Image 6: Shows the 4 - Stop Hinges...and these work just great!

Image 7: Shows the right monitor in the "swung out" position.

Image 8: Shows the front cover...not yet completed.

Image 9: ..."Ready-To-Go"!

The stand is an Apex/Yorkville IKS8 Heavy Duty Stand.

Lastly, "Thank You" to WinkOr for his ideas on this build. Much appreciated.

Attachment 2062
    Attachment 2063

Default Re: My New Rig

Nice approach/ Desk Rack combo ...all in one.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

I built and have used my version last April (see SAC V2.0 Rig sig link). It has been a big improvement for me. Everything stays hooked up so it is just a matter of popping the lid and turning it on and it is ready to go. Dell made some nice improvements but mine works fine for me.
    Last edited by Wink0r; 02-12-2015 at 12:10 PM.

Blog Entries

Hello,
    Quote Originally Posted by Wink0r View Post
    ...It has been a big improvement for me. Everything stays hooked up so it is just a matter of popping the lid and turning it on and it is ready to go.
    ....and me too! Thanks again, Wink0r.

6. Default Re: My New Rig

Thank you for sharing you pictures!

I love seeing how other build their rigs. There are a lot thinks to consider regarding the physical "packaging" of computer, screen, preamps and all the other little things.
    A lot of compromises has to be made (for me at least) and it's not always easy to visualize or drawn up how the final rig will turn out. Therefore it's very nice to see how other do it, so I can go "I like that feature" and "I think that feature is wrong for me".
    Peter Olsen

Hardware: Asus Prime Z690-P D4, Intel Core i5-12600K, 8 GB ram, 500GB NVMe SSD, 2 RayDAT, 2 DSB2408 preamp/converters.

Blog Entries

Peter,
    Thank you for the comments...
    Just for interest, I use MS Publisher for the "designing" of all of my projects. It allows me to scale 1:1 - as well as setting transparencies to allow for looking "inside" the carcass.

For example, as you can see from the following image, I have a transparent side view - showing just how all of the hard ward will "fit" inside the carcass. This was very important in ensuring that the castors would fit as was as in the spacing required between the monitors and the keyboard when the lid is closed:

Attachment 2065

PS: If you have some ideas in mind, I would love to discuss these with you.

8. Default Re: My New Rig

Someone else had built something similar a while back, but seeing this pop up again, I have to ask:

It seems t me that you are making a little wall to mix behind, as you have that large, flat surface facing you on a 90 degree hinge. To me, this kind of flys in the face of one of the mix rack's strogest suits - its ability to be placed in the best mix position in the house.

Maybe put the monitors on vesa arms with a removable lid or have the lid bend back to a much lower angle to improve the entire unit's profile?

Just my thoughts.

Different strokes for different folks. I respect that your rig works for you. For me, a huge SAC rig like this represents the exact opposite of what I personally liked about SAC, It's small foot print. If I'm going to have something large like your rig, there are way better options in my opinion, like Midas, Soundcraft, A&H, etc. Also, I don't think I'd like a big wall in front of me while I'm trying to hear the mix.
    Like I said, different strokes for different folks.

Someone else had built something similar a while back,
    That would be me. My host rig stays on or beside the stage. I mix on a remote. When I have a monitor tech I set it up so the site line to the performance area is open. In most cases it sits on a rack but if I don't roll racks in I carry a keyboard stand. Everything stays hooked up so it is just a matter of popping the covers and powering the rig up and I am ready to tend to other business. I always needed some flat area for monitor and keyboard anyway and this format has that built in as well. In the truck or trailer it rides on other racks so I roll one less rack onto the transportation. It has worked well for me. See the SAC V2.0 link in my sig.