Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Record Template

Default Record Template

Ok, please help me out of this brain-dead pothole.

I can't seem to get Record Templates to work. I used them on my last system, but either I can't remember how or I am misunderstanding the help file.

I set up a track to record VO and choose the input by clicking the Input field on the Record module. Pretty simple.

Then I click File | Record Template | Save and give it a name. I've also tried the Ctrl Close method mentioned in the manual.

Then I try to recall it by Ctrl Clicking the record button for Track 1. Won't work. Regular left click won't work. No clicking of any sort works. ARGH!

Restart SS. Same thing. If I left click the record button, fine. But if I try to access my Record Template via Ctrl Click or via the File menu, SS won't go into record, period.

I have two Record Templates saved. Is more than one allowed?

What am I missing?
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Default Re: Record Template

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    Ok, please help me out of this brain-dead pothole.

I can't seem to get Record Templates to work. I used them on my last system, but either I can't remember how or I am misunderstanding the help file.

I set up a track to record VO and choose the input by clicking the Input field on the Record module. Pretty simple.

Then I click File | Record Template | Save and give it a name. I've also tried the Ctrl Close method mentioned in the manual.

Then I try to recall it by Ctrl Clicking the record button for Track 1. Won't work. Regular left click won't work. No clicking of any sort works. ARGH!

Restart SS. Same thing. If I left click the record button, fine. But if I try to access my Record Template via Ctrl Click or via the File menu, SS won't go into record, period.

I have two Record Templates saved. Is more than one allowed?

What am I missing?
    What, exactly, are you hoping the record template will remember, Ian? Sounds like maybe you have the wrong expectation for record templates. They remember stuff like record tracks opened, placement of the input meters and transport controls, and record input assignments.

The ctrl-click stuff is about the default template, IIRC. Then you can save as many templates as you want to individual template files. I use my default template (ctrl-click on a track's REC button) all the time to record VO. One, single, mono-assigned meter opens up.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Ian,

Setup the record meters and assignments first... then Ctrl-Close the meters to create the internal record template... you can then re-open that setup by ctrl-clicking any record button again. After you had created the record setup template by ctrl-closing the meters... then you can use the File/Save Record Template to keep that setup in a file... and you can have unlimited record template files.

Later, you can start a new session... open a saved record template file and then ctrl-click any record button to load the record template setup starting with that hottrack.

Its pretty simple really... and very flexible and powerful... especially when complex multitrack setups are needed repeatedly.

Bob L

I want it save me from choosing the 8th mono input on the list every time I want to record a VO. That seems to happen often around here. (Why the default is stereo still mystifies me. )

I was trying to create the internal template by ctrl-clicking the Record button to close it, not the meter. So I've learned that.

I don't think I recall in years past having to open the template file first. I thought I could just ctrl click the Record button. In my case, it doesn't save any time if I have to do that. If so, I will live.

Oh, maybe it saves with Preferences... but no.

Well, it's working as described in Bob's post. I just can't figure out how it impressed me in the past by saving some clicks. SMH
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Setting up one chan to a specific input is only a few quick clicks on its own... no need for a record template.

You could create a blank session with the record template setup inside the session and save that as a starting session template... then when you open that session the recordf assignments will already be in there... just clcik record button and go.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    You could create a blank session with the record template setup inside the session and save that as a starting session template... then when you open that session the recordf assignments will already be in there... just clcik record button and go.

Bob L
    I guess this is what I do. I must've saved the default mix template with my built-in record template default (if I understand you right, Bob) a long time ago. I sure don't remember anymore.

I think that's your ticket, Ian. Save your default record template (set it up as you like, then ctrl-click to close the meter(s)) inside your default mix template. Then re-save the default mix template. If you don't yet have a default mix template, now's the time to make one! Next time you start SAW, ctrl-click the rec button of choice and you'll get the input assignments you long for.

I think.

I have a default mix template all ready for VO... including de-essing tweaked to my voice on track 1 and Bob's spectrum analyzer and a limiter on the output patch points. I may have some other stuff pre-patched on some input tracks. I open up SAW, do a save as to create my new session EDL, then ctrl-click on a channel rec button, and I get a single record meter with the left side of channel one of my audio interface all set and ready to lay down a mono WAV file on the track I picked.

Dig?

I also have mix templates set up for different recording tasks -- like one with 24 mono inputs that open up with a single ctrl-click for gig tracking.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 03-04-2015 at 03:46 PM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Thanks fellas. Inch by inch, you got me there. I needed to save the record template properly and I made it the default by saving a default mix template.

It is only a few clicks, but a couple hundred times a year makes it a bit annoying, especially since I had this going on a previous machine.

It's the small things, right?
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    It's the small things, right?
    Speaking of which -- oh, nevermind.
    Becket, Massachusetts

There you go again Dave!
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    There you go again Dave!
    And I didn't even jump on his "inch by inch" comment.
    Becket, Massachusetts