Close

Default Very quiet violin

Just did a St Patrics day event with the (famous) Don't Be Brothers
    Any body got a good idea how to pick up a VERY quiet violin player and have it heard over 2 loud guitars and a banjo ? I even tried a clip on mic and when soloing that ch the stage volume was much louder in that mic than her playing
    The Dulcimer was not even a problem just the violin
    She is a very good violin player just not up to Irish Fiddle volume

Butch

2. Default Re: Very quiet violin

Ever tried a Myers pick up?
    Think it's http://myerspickups.com
    I had a player on my stage at festival with one. It sounded pretty good.
    I think it was the one they call the blend, nice.
    Last edited by keithsplace; 03-15-2015 at 04:56 AM.
    SAC/SAW Host:
    BioStar P43 Intel Core 2 Duo E5700 3.0Ghz
    4 GB 1333Mz DDR3 RAM
    OCZ 120GB SATA III SSD for XP
    Seagate SATA-2TB HD for record drive
    RME-HDSPe RayDAT
    Buffers 2x64 about 24%
    3x) Behringer ADA8200
    1x) Behringer ADA8000
    1x) Behringer HA4700 Headphone Amp
    D-Link DIR-655 router
    SAC Remote:Monitor and/or FOH Mix
    Acer Aspire Intel 2Core 2.13Ghz 4GB DDR3 Win7
    Toshiba-Satellite AMD 1.5G 4GB OCZ SSD HD Win7
    Pictures and more info here.

3. Default Re: Very quiet violin

I like the DPA microphones for this - either the 4099 hypercardioid clip-on or the 4061 omni for a more discreet look. Of course I just rent when I need it.

Check out the DPA violin micing guide here.

Default Re: Very quiet violin

I was using a 4099
    She was so quite that standing on stage next to her I could just slightly hear her playing over the stage sound
    Did I mention the 2 main players wanted their monitors LOUD

It was just one of those days

Butch

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Bos View Post
    I was using a 4099
    She was so quite that standing on stage next to her I could just slightly hear her playing over the stage sound
    Did I mention the 2 main players wanted their monitors LOUD

It was just one of those days

Butch
    A pickup is about it for something like that.
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

Ya I know but most player are not happy with someone messing with their instrument for a one off show
    O well the rest of our shows this weekend went well (4 rock bands 1 country band 1 parade and 1 foot race) and know one seemed to care except me about the low violin volume at that show

Butch

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Bos View Post
    Ya I know but most player are not happy with someone messing with their instrument for a one off show
    O well the rest of our shows this weekend went well (4 rock bands 1 country band 1 parade and 1 foot race) and know one seemed to care except me about the low violin volume at that show

Butch
    Some pickups can be attached temporarily, with a non-damaging double stick tape (think post-it type adhesive on one side of a double sided pad.) Barcus Berry provides the stuff with their products, and I've seen it on C-Ducers and Mcintyre pickups too. The McIntuyres had a gummy substance kind of like silly putty on some of their stuff at one point... in all the times I've used them, they've never damaged the finish of an instrument and I've never had a player refuse one.

Another trick I've used is to take a countryman isomax 2 hypercardioid and place the mic element "hole" directly on the bridge of a stringed instrument (done this with guitars and double basses) and then tape it on with something that won't mar the finish (artist tape, scotch tape, etc). This works REALLY well as long as you don't get too much resonsance from the instrument.
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

8. Default Re: Very quiet violin

I had a violinist use one of these Friday night. His violin was rather pricey so he was against altering it in any way. It worked great and sounded extremely natural.

http://www.amazon.com/Headway-Band-V.../dp/B000LPSNBW

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarkeys.com View Post
    I had a violinist use one of these Friday night. His violin was rather pricey so he was against altering it in any way. It worked great and sounded extremely natural.

http://www.amazon.com/Headway-Band-V.../dp/B000LPSNBW
    Looks like the best solution I am going to order one
    I won't work with this band again till next year but I will have a few more violins/fiddles coming up.

Butch

Blog Entries

Butch,

Why not have a look at the MiniFlex 2MIC.

Give Ken Donnell a call at: (530) 284-1689.

I personally own 3 of his mics and my daughter has one for your Soprano uke. I know that here has something for a violin - though it is not yet shown on the site.