Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Behringer S16 and SAC?

Is there a way run one or two Behringer S16 digital snake modules with SAC? I'm imagining there would be some additional card required vs. just having Windows driver for the CAT5 jack on a regular network card. If it is possible, how would they be synced and could you adjust the preamp volumes from SAC somehow? I am happy with my currenct setup, but I also own a Behringer X32 that I rent out with other engineers. We were wondering about just connecting the S16 units.

Default Re: Behringer S16 and SAC?

You have to use an aes50 sound card like the one Lynx has. The problem is control. I think threes a way to do it with midi... Someone has it working (or did) but it's not s great solution.
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

UK A&H with SAC insert - SAWstudio_Lynx Aurora16_API-Neve Preamps_Behrckie controller

I've done it. it is the tidiest rig it has to be said and a solid protocol up to 100m stage box away from the control.
    Lynx AES16e-50 to get the AES50 protocol running.
    You could probably get the gain controlled through midi. But I never bothered*.
    you can get used to plan your Gain structure accordingly and use SAC to fine tune as long as you are not clipping. the beauty is that you can adjust and monitor the gain on the stage box itself. that is cool.

Over all it feels more pleasing than a x32.
    having said that Midas has released a new Stagebox for M32 looking like S16
    ( might be easier to Midi control the gain* )
    compatible with X32 but it is MIDAS ( S16 ISN'T MIDAS PREAMP LETS BE CLEAR ON THIS !).
    More over the X32 processor is the same as the Midas M32.. So it is very confusing.
    My take is that the common processor is average quality, The Midas is quality ADDA preamps and Faders, the behringer on the cheap side.

Lets put it differently:
    Is it best to choose for sound, practicality:
    - SAC system with AES50 and 2xS16 berhringer
    or
    - Midas M32R and its 32ch Stagebox
    ?

Although I really like SAC, I'd go with the Midas set up if I could afford it!

Anyway I chose a cheaper and compact option for my own for now and I love it:
    A&H Qu24 with the latest firmware 1.7 which is brilliant and SAC inserted on USB to provide me with Ext.Processor or FX like Waves Multiracks but better. a Console in the console. I digress. But i like the fact that I didn't abandoned SAC and it is great with all my plugins and SAC quality ch.strip. ( if you can work with ~10ms latency in thsi config )

Any info on the latency of this setup? I'm very happy with my current RME RayDat setup, but I am intrigued with the s16 setup, since I already have those boxes and it would be just another option in my arsenal.

Does the Lynx card only offer 32 channels of 48khz total, or is it 32 channels of input and 32 channels of output?

UK A&H with SAC insert - SAWstudio_Lynx Aurora16_API-Neve Preamps_Behrckie controller

i must confess I never felt the need to measure latency with it. No I don't have the S16 so I can't help.
    it is 32i/o
    where it gets interesting is that it give you access to AES50 and AES3 with 2x HD26 or 16ch AES i/o that goes well with a Lynx Aurora 16 and will deliver 16io DB25 analog. certainly a nice set up for studio.
    I can't remember if you can combine the 2x

What youy can I confirm is get 32 in 16 out analg with 2xS16 and use and other 16 outputs digitally with ADAT optical for a P16i Behringer's proprietary Personal Mixer system. so in that sense you use 32io.

I'm using one S-16 as input unit with a Motu 2408, and it works fine. Game controll is done using midi and the sac - plugin.

Tomy
    3 * TIO1608 + AIC-128 + X-Touch + Dante -> AES + DADC-144DT

SATlive is my measurement software
    DIN 15905-5 (German SPL Limit)

Hi Tomy, can you explain the chain? How do you connect and so on.thanx!!!!

Hi,

it's quite simple

The two ADAT outs of the S-16 connect to two ADAT ins of the motu 2408-II
    Motu 2408-II connects via 'Audiowire' to PCI424 in the SAC host

The S-16 runs 48k and is defined clock-master

A small network to midi sever runs also on the SAC host, feeding a cheap usb - midi converter. The output of the midi interface is connected to (a RGC and via through to) S-16 midi in.

My plug-in in SAC allows controll and recall of the gains of the S-16 (and via the RGC also of the ADA 8000) and of the phantom power.

Outputs are provided by the 2408-II (6 + headphone) and by the ADA 8000 (8 outs).

Tomy
    3 * TIO1608 + AIC-128 + X-Touch + Dante -> AES + DADC-144DT

SATlive is my measurement software
    DIN 15905-5 (German SPL Limit)

10. Default Re: Behringer S16 and SAC?

Kneel before Rolf-->

http://appsys.ch/en/8-products/19-mbr-64

Gain over Midi might be possible. Page 7-->

http://www.behringer.com/assets/S16_M_EN.pdf