Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop advice

Default Laptop advice

I'm thinking about a laptop for my next machine. I've always had desktop computers, but I'd like to be able to get out of the office and edit on the dining room table or even the deck. I'm also hoping to record my son's band more often and there's enough gear to move for that without a tower, monitor, etc. I already have an RME USB interface.

Here are my questions.

What are the features you think are critical in an audio laptop?

I've had separate office and audio computers for many years. Is it possible to do it all on one machine? Can I set up different "Users" for Office and Audio? Some of the tweaks for SS don't make a machine really friendly for web, etc. Can one User have virus protection while another doesn't?

I'm currently using a 24" monitor, keyboard, and mouse with the two computers in a closet and a KVM switch to share the peripherals. Anybody using a 15 or 17-inch laptop for all their audio? Will I end up connecting a bigger screen? Most of my work is one track narration or maybe five tracks for a radio spot.

What other questions should I be asking?

Considering the relative cost of desktops and laptops, should I get another desktop and spend the difference on beer?

Thanks.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Default Re: Laptop advice

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    I'm thinking about a laptop for my next machine. I've always had desktop computers, but I'd like to be able to get out of the office and edit on the dining room table or even the deck. I'm also hoping to record my son's band more often and there's enough gear to move for that without a tower, monitor, etc. I already have an RME USB interface.

Here are my questions.

What are the features you think are critical in an audio laptop?

I've had separate office and audio computers for many years. Is it possible to do it all on one machine? Can I set up different "Users" for Office and Audio? Some of the tweaks for SS don't make a machine really friendly for web, etc. Can one User have virus protection while another doesn't?

I'm currently using a 24" monitor, keyboard, and mouse with the two computers in a closet and a KVM switch to share the peripherals. Anybody using a 15 or 17-inch laptop for all their audio? Will I end up connecting a bigger screen? Most of my work is one track narration or maybe five tracks for a radio spot.

What other questions should I be asking?

Considering the relative cost of desktops and laptops, should I get another desktop and spend the difference on beer?

Thanks.
    I've never been as comfortable editing on a laptop. Not sure why. Maybe it's just a getting-used-to-it thing.

Definitely cool for portability. And I've run an all-in-one computer (DAW and general use) since the beginning, even when recording bands, do I don't see that as an issue, especially for just a few tracks.

I did set up a client's laptop once with two different user accounts -- one for his general stuff and one for his podcast recording -- and it seemed to work fine. But I don't do that for myself. I use minimal and non-intrusive anti-virus stuff. I even have my off-site backup service running in the background all the time. If it ever causes hiccups, I just put it to sleep for a while.

You'll have to do the cost/benefit analysis yourself. Yes, the portability is going to cost you. That said, you could always consider getting a less-powerful (less expensive)-processor-based system and maybe save a few bucks.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

I don't know how a newer laptop with maybe Win8 or 8.1 will affect your performance, but I, like Dave, have been using an older laptop that doubles as sort of a general pc for a few years with no ill affects. I also run minimal intrusive software - anti-virus that's easy to turn off, Wi-Fi that I disable, etc. while recording (all one user) and I've had no issues recording 16-24 simultaneous tracks, especially with SAC as a front end mixer to get latency down for overdub purposes.

I also have never gotten comfortable editing on a laptop. I much prefer using the desktop for editing and mixing. I think my biggest issue is the lack of all the common keyboard and mouse conveniences a laptop forces a person to deal with - keypad additions, or FN key combinations, things of that nature - cramps my style... and I can't stand the mouse pads on a laptop - TRACK PAD!! (thanks, BC!) that's what I meant - can't stand 'em!... so clumsy and prone to accidental movements. My personal preference is to use a laptop for portability at a gig and then transfer projects to the desktop for everything that comes after.
    Last edited by UpTilDawn; 04-07-2015 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I don't know how a newer laptop with maybe Win8 or 8.1 will affect your performance, but I, like Dave, have been using an older laptop that doubles as sort of a general pc for a few years with no ill affects. I also run minimal intrusive software - anti-virus that's easy to turn off, Wi-Fi that I disable, etc. while recording (all one user) and I've had no issues recording 16-24 simultaneous tracks, especially with SAC as a front end mixer to get latency down for overdub purposes.

I also have never gotten comfortable editing on a laptop. I much prefer using the desktop for editing and mixing. I think my biggest issue is the lack of all the common keyboard and mouse conveniences a laptop forces a person to deal with - keypad additions, or FN key combinations, things of that nature - cramps my style... and I can't stand the mouse pads on a laptop... so clumsy and prone to accidental movements. My personal preference is to use a laptop for portability at a gig and then transfer projects to the desktop for everything that comes after.
    What he said (and so much better than I).

It's funny. You see all these dudes running PT on their Mactops in promotional videos and stuff. Maybe Avid is trying to attract the amateur user, but I gotta wonder if PT users just haven't experienced how fast editing can be on a DAW (e.g., as it is with SAW), which is experienced in spades on a desktop system.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 04-07-2015 at 11:22 AM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

My biggest hesitation to editing on a laptop is the headphone amp. At least on the ones I've used, the headphone amp sounds like crap and is usually only capable of anemic levels. Even connecting a small USB interface is not much of an improvement, especially if the interface is buss-powered.

(The buss can only supply 5VDC, which is going to limit the headroom of whatever circuit their using to drive headphones.)

If you can find a decent headphone amp and a mouse, I'd say the only other limiting factor is the size of the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtZHP View Post
    My biggest hesitation to editing on a laptop is the headphone amp. At least on the ones I've used, the headphone amp sounds like crap and is usually only capable of anemic levels. Even connecting a small USB interface is not much of an improvement, especially if the interface is buss-powered.

(The buss can only supply 5VDC, which is going to limit the headroom of whatever circuit their using to drive headphones.)

If you can find a decent headphone amp and a mouse, I'd say the only other limiting factor is the size of the screen.
    Or take my approach, which is not to use headphones that need a lot of power. I use little radio shack round-the-back-of-the-head iPod type cans for all basic editing. Accuracy is kind of a non-issue for general editing; most cheap phones sound pretty darned good these days. I use these for tracking, too. Light and comfortable.

Now, if you're mixing, that's a whole 'nother story... I'm not crazy about mixing with headphones. Though for a lot of VO stuff, I've gotten pretty comfy.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Ian, I think you nailed it when you said your tower is in the closet. I'm guessing for a better recording environment but equally important, listening environment. I record everything in the studio save the occasional audition from home.

If I have to go out of town or take something home to edit, it's usually a bunch or game files that have to be cut and named, I pull the session onto a flash drive and work from home sometimes on the laptop. These are usually processed by the game company anyway so there's no need to worry about the quality of the audio here. The editing and naming is my only concern at this point. The beauty of working this way is I only have to transfer the edl back to the studio for the final check and that's emailable.

If you're mixing on the porch or at the table, it might sound a different when you take it into the studio for a listen. On my spots, I like to mix in the studio and take it out to the office area and have another listen out there. Most times it's fine but there are those occasions I've taken it back for a remix before releasing it.

Overall the program is so well written and has such a small footprint you won't have any trouble running SAW on a modern latptop. It does help to have a larger screen to work on and I hate track pads so I have to have a mouse at least. The keyboard you can get used to. Pay attention to the F key configuration when choosing your laptop. Tweak, tweak, tweak!
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

All excellent thoughts. Just as I'd hoped.

I have my eye on a Lenovo E550.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...1pro_15_6.html

The keyboard has function keys and a numpad, both of which I use very often in SS. I would use an external mouse while editing, unless I surprise myself and get used to the trackpad or ThinkPad pencil eraser thing. For critical mixing, I would connect the RME interface and use the monitors in the studio/office. The vast majority of my recordings don't get mixed, just edited. As in me narrating training programs with the same mic, same pre, same booth...so chopping out the pickups wouldn't require a mastering studio. With encouragement from a couple of you, I think I might be able to use one machine for everything. If so, I could rationalize the additional expense of the laptop by buying only one computer. (I know, I could also buy one desktop.)

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

The keyboard has function keys and a numpad, both of which I use very often in SS. I would use an external mouse while editing, unless I surprise myself and get used to the trackpad or ThinkPad pencil eraser thing. For critical mixing, I would connect the RME interface and use the monitors in the studio/office. The vast majority of my recordings don't get mixed, just edited. As in me narrating training programs with the same mic, same pre, same booth...so chopping out the pickups wouldn't require a mastering studio. With encouragement from a couple of you, I think I might be able to use one machine for everything. If so, I could rationalize the additional expense of the laptop by buying only one computer. (I know, I could also buy one desktop.)

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
    Looks pretty cool. I gotta wonder why they have a video card in there, though. Doesn't that CPU have it's own GPU?

UPDATE: Holy moly! I just checked out that processor. It apparently can support three displays! Maybe you can get five total using the Radeon video adapter?
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 04-08-2015 at 08:58 AM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
    Nice! Function keys (that work as standard functions first and secondary with Ctrl instead of the other way around like some I don't personally care for) - and a number keypad! I have grown to like using the little red eraser head button on my Thinkpads - a whole lot more than I like the trackpad. It's nice that you have both options. A built-in dvd-r/w, too! The old Thinkpads like the x60/61 had a separate docking thing that weighed as much as the laptop.