Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Laptop recording

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    True 'nuff. I just meant to point out how much "headroom" there is, performance-wise these days. Should be a non-issue. Picking the right interface to handle all those inputs seems like the real challenge.
    So true...... and proving to be a stumbling block (again). It looks like it would require a sizeable investment that I'm not thrilled to make, considering that the current setup, using the lunchbox, still works fine in most instances.

Fortunately for me, I haven't had to deal with the combination of high track counts and the need for whisper quiet operation at the same time up to this point and the trusty ThinkPad x60 has no problem handling 16-24 tracks to the internal hard drive, when I have needed quiet over track count.

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    So true...... and proving to be a stumbling block (again). It looks like it would require a sizeable investment that I'm not thrilled to make, considering that the current setup, using the lunchbox, still works fine in most instances.

Fortunately for me, I haven't had to deal with the combination of high track counts and the need for whisper quiet operation at the same time up to this point and the trusty ThinkPad x60 has no problem handling 16-24 tracks to the internal hard drive, when I have needed quiet over track count.
    Thinking a little "non-traditionally", here... if this need is a rare occurrence (high track count and quiet operation), would it be an option to use the Thinkpad rig and just add a second laptop or tower with a second (sync'd or even free-wheeling) interface? Assuming you have a second interface "lying around," of course. Or -- maybe you could borrow or rent one whenever the need arises.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Thinking a little "non-traditionally", here... if this need is a rare occurrence (high track count and quiet operation), would it be an option to use the Thinkpad rig and just add a second laptop or tower with a second (sync'd or even free-wheeling) interface? Assuming you have a second interface "lying around," of course. Or -- maybe you could borrow or rent one whenever the need arises.
    I suppose maybe I could use the rack and pair of interfaces for the bigger rig, leaving all connections in place, but run the two RME/FW cables to their own separate laptop. I've got another ThinkPad (an x61) that does minimal duty and that I had begun to set up for audio-just-in-case awhile ago.

I guess it would only require one additional piece of gear - the x61 - that's not a bad idea. I'll have to test it out, when I test out using external HD's in a usb docking station. Thanks for the idea.