Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: IEM Transmitter: How close to WiFi Router?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Evans View Post
    It's kind of a package deal... Talk about nits to pick...
    Let's not dismiss this discussion as "picking nits". I think it deserves a little more attention.

Please have a look at the Sennheiser site, take a look at the mics and IEM systems, their suggested antennas and combiners. Then post a comment here on your findings. I think you'll find I'm not picking nits.
    Currently using:
    T43p Thinkpad w/XP SP3 for FOH, Subs and Front Fill Mixes (20% CPU load);
    T500 Thinkpad w/Win7 SP1 for 6 Monitor Mixes (15% CPU load)
    Running at 2x32
    2 Digifaces, 1 w/CardBus, 1 w/ExpressCard
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;
    1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all FOH sends; 1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all Monitor sends;

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/378140.html
    http://www.fullcompass.com/product/372753.html

It's sold as a kit at most retailers,. Sure, you can buy the parts separately, but most would just buy the kit, which comes with a paddle antenna and distriibutes dc power... This is clearly what he was referring to.
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Evans View Post
    http://www.fullcompass.com/product/372753.html

It's sold as a kit at most retailers,. Sure, you can buy the parts separately, but most would just buy the kit, which comes with a paddle antenna and distriibutes dc power... This is clearly what he was referring to.
    It might have been clear to you, but it wasn't clear to me, and it perhaps was not clear to other readers of this thread.

So just so we're clear, Andy's post mentioned antennas which will power the units. The antennas Sennheiser recommends are passive and require no power. The "shark-fin" type antenna is listed for both sending and receiving, altho it's recommended that it be used for only 1 or the other at any given time (meaning if you have wireless mics AND IEMS, you'll need 3 antennas, 2 for diversity mics and 1 for IEM). The oar-type paddle is not specified by Sennheiser as either for sending or receiving, fyi.

As was suggested, Andy may have been referring to the TWO different units that Sennheiser offers, one for combining multiple transmitters and the other for combining multiple receivers.

You and I might have known from experience what Andy was referring to, but others without a depth of experience in RF gear might have been scratching their heads. That was the point of my post.
    Currently using:
    Running at 2x32
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;

Grumpy any?

You could just as easily have pointed to the same links I did if you just wanted to clarify.

No reason to make a big issue out of this.
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

Not grumpy at all. I just like clarity. When someone says you can buy paddles that will power the units, that leaves an unclear - or plain wrong - impression with some readers. I asked the OP to reconsider his wording. He hasn't, as of the time of my post here.
    Currently using:
    Running at 2x32

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post
    Not grumpy at all. I just like clarity. When someone says you can buy paddles that will power the units, that leaves an unclear - or plain wrong - impression with some readers. I asked the OP to reconsider his wording. He hasn't, as of the time of my post here.
    Sorry Brent, I have to agree with Ira here. Although I would have just pointed out that the Antenna's themselves don't power the units. The Antenna distro is what powers the units.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Actually, my point was to please take note that powered antennas are not required for either transmitting or receiving. The antennas in those kits that Brent linked to on Full Compass are passive, non-powered antennas.

I find a lot of confusion on the road among bands and engineers who use active antennas where none are required or even recommended, and at much greater expense than is necessary.

So the OP talking about antennas powering units is confusing. The reverse of that, i.e., the combiner powering antennas, is not necessary in many circumstances. Not understanding this can lead to unnecessary expense, misused gear and perhaps more RF problems.
    Currently using:
    Running at 2x32

8. Default Re: IEM Transmitter: How close to WiFi Router?

I too must agree with Ira that this deserves attention and scrutiny. A simple, unintentional misstatement about this could lead to someone getting the wrong impression and purchasing the wrong piece of gear for their needs. This isn't just a grammatical error akin to "than" being used instead of "then".

This paragraph came right off the above link which someone else was kind enough to post.

"Active combiner kit for four IEM transmitters with DC power distribution, includes AC 3 / NT, GA 3 rackmount kit, and A 2003-UHF.
    The AC 3 / NT is an active antenna combiner with DC power distribution for IEM transmitters. Includes required NT3-1-US power supply and four 20" BNC cables.
    The A 2003-UHF is an antenna, 430-960MHz, passive, directional, +3dB gain.
    Accessory for EW300IEM-G3."

I'll be the first to admit I can be wrong about anything. Maybe I read this wrong a year ago when I saw it but I thought it implied that the antennas powered up to four of their EW300IEM-G3s through the BNC cables.

To me it read: One "paddle" antenna hooked to four iems (for better Xmit/receive) and it powers them as well eliminating the wall worts for the four iems themselves. I'm sure the antenna needs some sort of power supply.

As for my personal use, I just added up the milliamps I needed to power the six new G4(?)s I bought and searched on the internet until I found a unit with an appropriate rating and the right voltage. Ordered the right sized mini cannon plug thingys, wired it up and it works great.

I have no personal experience with antenna combiners and splitters other than I thought they were too expensive for my needs - but I knew they existed. As always do your own research before you buy anything.

I apologize if I was not clear enough on something but I put in my two cents worth to the best of my knowledge. As always, YMMV.

Yes, you've read it right. But it's not technically the antenna that powers the transmitters. It is the antenna combiner that provides the power distribution.

Pretty certain that most of Sennheiser's antennas are just a dumb piece of metal with a BNC connector on them. At least the paddles and shark fins anyway. Unlike some of Shure's antenna which have active boosters built right into them, although those are usually on shark fins that you use for receivers, not IEM transmitters.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/