Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default IEM Transmitter: How close to WiFi Router?

Made my first foray into a Wireless IEM system this past week. I'd like some advice as to the placement of Wireless Transmitter unit in relation to my SAC WiFi router.

I've got a very small footprint 24 in/ out SAC rack stagebox happening comprised of (1) Appsys ADAT extender, (3) ADA8000 and my AMPed WiFi Router.

I'd like some advice on placement of the IEM Transmitter in relation to it's proximity to the WiFi router. Can I get away with placing them side by side in the Rack? or will their be issues with either of them even though they operate in 2 different frequency spectrums? What does interference sound like when it exists?

The back story is that I'm not sure the unit is functioning properly. I've had a certain level of problems dialing in a clear signal. Sounds as if one side of the transmitter feed was blown....but then it seemed to go away. Changed cords out.....changed outputs on the preamps...it sounds great running directly into a couple of different headphone amps. Then the signal seems to get a lock and clears up.

Is this normal?

Comments and idea's appreciated.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

2. Default Re: IEM Transmitter: How close to WiFi Router?

It would probably be best to provide some technical details if you're looking for a technical answer.

1) Make made/mode of IEM?
    2) What frequency range is the IEM in?
    3) What made/model of wireless router?
    4) What frequencies are being used?
    5) Do you have control over the router TX power?

Assuming the router is 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz and the IEM is probably in the 500-700Mhz range, there should really be no problem from the wifi router. Your biggest interference issue will be other RF in the area using similar frequencies such as UHF broadcast towers.

Does your IEM receiver pack have a scan feature on it? If so, turn off the IEM transmitter, but keep everything else on and run a scan. It should report back the frequencies/channels that you should be able to use.

If you travel with it, you may have to perform a scan at each new venue to ensure that nearby RF won't clobber your signal.
    Last edited by PhaseShifter; 05-31-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Default Re: IEM Transmitter: How close to WiFi Router?

It's not so important where the units are placed. What is VERY important is where the antennas are placed.

For both the router and especially the IEM xmitter, you should extend the antenna cables so that the antennas are outside the rack. Sennheiser, Shure, etc all say that keeping the antennas inside the rack will not give optimum results.
    Currently using:
    T43p Thinkpad w/XP SP3 for FOH, Subs and Front Fill Mixes (20% CPU load);
    T500 Thinkpad w/Win7 SP1 for 6 Monitor Mixes (15% CPU load)
    Running at 2x32
    2 Digifaces, 1 w/CardBus, 1 w/ExpressCard
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;
    1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all FOH sends; 1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all Monitor sends;

4. Default Re: IEM Transmitter: How close to WiFi Router?

I can tell you from experience that I know immediately when someone is running a line 6 unit. I always locate my router as far away from them as possible and it usually solves the problem of being kicked off line.

I've had no problems with interference between my router (either band) and the IEMs. I have them all within 2 feet of each other.

IEMs: Antenna should be as high as you can get it and outside of the rack. Sounds easy enough but I don't even do it that way because of space. Usually the IEM user is within 5 to 50 feet from the transmitter and sometimes, especially at the close ranges, one step in any direction may solve a static, hiss, cutting in/out problem. Putting the body pack on the other side of your body can make a difference as well.

Scanning and changing freqs often solves the problem. Even one venue to another across the street may have different RF situations.

I run 8 of those iem units. 6 of the newer senhiesers and 2 of the older ones. The newer units are better, can be networked (one scan can set all the units - with the PC software installed). The older units (G2s I think) take more button pushes/time to scan but they still work. The newer units in my setup have noticeably less background "hiss" in them than the older units.

You can also buy paddle antennas which will also power the units (up to 4 at a time). They're expensive and I'm getting by with what I have. The newer units (G3s?) seem to work fine no matter where I'm at. The G2s I often have to fuss with at every gig.

YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Follett View Post
    You can also buy paddle antennas which will also power the units (up to 4 at a time). ...
    Andy, can you reread your statement here and perhaps amend it?

7. Default Re: IEM Transmitter: How close to WiFi Router?

Search the web for: Sennheiser Antenna Combiner

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post
    Andy, can you reread your statement here and perhaps amend it?
    Sennheiser antenna distribution units supply power to the transmitters/receivers. It keeps down the mess of wall warts.
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaseShifter View Post
    Search the web for: Sennheiser Antenna Combiner
    Exactly. Not the "paddle antennas which will also power the units (up to 4 at a time)" that Andy wrote about.
    Currently using:
    T43p Thinkpad w/XP SP3 for FOH, Subs and Front Fill Mixes (20% CPU load);
    T500 Thinkpad w/Win7 SP1 for 6 Monitor Mixes (15% CPU load)
    Running at 2x32
    2 Digifaces, 1 w/CardBus, 1 w/ExpressCard
    3-Octamic-D for mic inputs - using the dual outputs to split the ADAT signal to the Digifaces;
    1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all FOH sends; 1-RME ADI-8 Pro for all Monitor sends;

Quote Originally Posted by IraSeigel View Post
    Exactly. Not the "paddle antennas which will also power the units (up to 4 at a time)" that Andy wrote about.
    It's kind of a package deal... Talk about nits to pick...
    SAC Host: Custom built i3 / Gigabyte based rackmount PC, MOTU 424/2408(2), Profire2626(4),. up to. on up to 6 monitor mixers.WinXP Home.
    Plugins/Processing: RML, Antares, ReaPlugs. Recording with Reaper.
    System Load - 25-30%, at 1x32

99% of the time, things that aren't being done aren't because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.
    BE your sound.