Close

Thread: X32 info

Default X32 info

Ok Second week that I have used an X32 as the front end to record the Fifties show at Renfro Valley, KY. The firewire drivers for the new Version 2 seem stable. 24 tracks on to my Lenovo W500. Internal SSD but I recorded to an external SSD USB. First show was 48K this was at 44.1. 24 tracks recorded flawlessly with 0% MT load. They mixdown fine etc. etc.
    I wanted to use SAC as the front end so I could do some adjusting myself of levels but could not get SAC stable. Opens up fine. All settings setup properly. Saving frequently and then gone..... no error message just gone. Restart SAC. Fine for a bit then gone again.. Any clues? Anyone tried this conifiguration?

Steven Lewis
    Audio-Video Electronics
    Mountain View Recording
    Richmond, KY

Default Re: X32 info

Do you have both SAC and SAW open at the same time, while running these tests with SAC that just close unexpectedly? Have you tried just opening SAC and working out the bug to find out whether you do indeed have all the settings right? I ask because it seems to me that SAC should have far less of an impact on the system than SAW in a general sense and the problem you're encountering would indicate to me that SAC is not set up correctly.

Other than that, be sure when using SAW and SAC together, that you activate the link from within SAW. Otherwise both programs will be attempting to use the same ASIO drivers and this either wouldn't work, or would really load down the system (I haven't really experienced this, so I'm guessing about the end result).

I never get to open SAW. SAC goes off as I am setting everything up. 44.1 this week. Last week was 48k . As I attempt to set the driver and inputs it will dissappear. I save at every step so I have gotten to the point where I could try to open SAW but then had to record the show. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to troubleshoot it. The show goes off with out a hitch using SAW only. But some of the levels from the X32 aren't hot enough. Hoping someone brings an X32 in for service so I can tinker, of course it would have to have the expansion board and V2. The console for the X32 firewire driver is a little strange. I set it for 6ms / 288 samples. Again I didn't have time to play with it.

I'll try to get there earlier next week and experiment some.
    Thanks for the insights.
    Steven Lewis
    Audio-Video Electroncs
    Mountain View Recording

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    I never get to open SAW. SAC goes off as I am setting everything up. 44.1 this week. Last week was 48k . As I attempt to set the driver and inputs it will dissappear. I save at every step so I have gotten to the point where I could try to open SAW but then had to record the show. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to troubleshoot it. The show goes off with out a hitch using SAW only. But some of the levels from the X32 aren't hot enough. Hoping someone brings an X32 in for service so I can tinker, of course it would have to have the expansion board and V2. The console for the X32 firewire driver is a little strange. I set it for 6ms / 288 samples. Again I didn't have time to play with it.

I'll try to get there earlier next week and experiment some.
    Thanks for the insights.
    Steven Lewis
    Audio-Video Electroncs
    Mountain View Recording
    Sounds like you need some down time, so you can run some tests on SAC, with no pressure to perform.

Ok update. Managed to get about 30 minutes to try SAC and did get it set up and working. Recorded the whole show with the link / only 2 quick breaks. The only problem is that I am getting lots of pops and crackles in this session. Probably unuseable material but the show was a bust anyway, Sax player didn't make it and it started late due to an accident on I75 that prevented a couple of performers getting there on time. I guess next week I will go back to SAWStudio only and forget about trying to do the link. I also tried a longer firewire cable. I don't know if that affected the signal. It looked fine at 16% load but the "X32 console" showed 6ms and my settings in SAC were 3/264 strange settings. Again I will work with it next week and try to get the buffers down.
    Steve L.
    Audio-Video Electronics
    Mountain View Recording

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    Ok update. Managed to get about 30 minutes to try SAC and did get it set up and working. Recorded the whole show with the link / only 2 quick breaks. The only problem is that I am getting lots of pops and crackles in this session. Probably unuseable material but the show was a bust anyway, Sax player didn't make it and it started late due to an accident on I75 that prevented a couple of performers getting there on time. I guess next week I will go back to SAWStudio only and forget about trying to do the link. I also tried a longer firewire cable. I don't know if that affected the signal. It looked fine at 16% load but the "X32 console" showed 6ms and my settings in SAC were 3/264 strange settings. Again I will work with it next week and try to get the buffers down.
    Steve L.
    Audio-Video Electronics
    Mountain View Recording
    Pops and crackles signal digital sync issues to me. When things weren't sync'd right for me in the past, I would get lots of random clicks on random tracks that showed up in the waveform displays in SAW.

That, or the buffer settings are too lean. Usually, for me, the resulting sound of too low buffer settings is grit and garble, rather than clicks and pops.

Is there a software interface in your laptop associated with the B's signals through your Firewire connection? Does it have settings for buffers, sync check, etc., such as RME and Totalmix? How does SAW and SAC see the FW inputs? I'm curious, because I've really only been working with RME products on a regular basis and the x32 manual has nothing that I can find that describes in any detail how someone would set up a recording to laptop session.

The new version 2 software and an additional card give USB and firewire ports on the X32. I'm not a fan of Behringer period but it was easier to just bring my laptop and a cable than my full rig (Profire and yes (2) ADA8000's)
    It worked flawlessly setting up the X32 to SAWStudio. However I wanted to use SAC as the front end to adjust some levels that were very low. The "console" for the X32 is fairly sparse and doesn't make sense in the reported samples and buffers. This could be part of the problem. There is no way to wordclock from the firewire o/p. Anyway next week I will get another chance to test a little but wil go back to SS only for the recording.
    Steven L.
    Audio-Video Electronics
    Mountain View Recording

Ok. 4th show done. SawStudio only this time. No link using SAC. Everything recorded fine, the show was great and this will wrap it up. Enough takes to get a double CD set. Mixing and mastering now. I don't know why using the link caused clicks and pops but now that this is done I may go back and experiment some with the buffer settings and may even try the USB drivers to see how they set up. I changed the buffer settings to 6ms which showed up as some odd samples 172 or so. But anyway I'm just sayin' ..... it works.
    Steven L.
    Audio-Video Electronics
    Mountain View Recording
    Richmond, KY