Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Carvin EM900 Wireless IEM Transmitter....

Sac Forum....wanted to let you know about the Carvin EM900 wireless IEM transmitter that arrived yesterday. The unit sounds very good and is loaded with features that you'd find on units costing a lot more. Very solid steel chassis on both the rack unit and the body pack. I tried the Galaxy AS1100 system but ended up sending it back. To be fair...I think one side of reciever was shot...intermittant distortion...but I wasn't feeling confident about the sound quality overall. I don't have any experience to compare it to but I followed my gut and shipped it back.

As I said...the Carvin unit really sounds good. I couldn't detect a difference between a wired or wireless feed. You can broadcast in Stereo or mono as well as blend in 2 separate signals...has a defeatable limiter to protect your hearing....960 channels...great headroom...steel case on the transmitter and Body pack...and priced quite a bit below the entry level Shure PSM300 system

Carvin was really off my Radar but I understand that they had some real issues with the first generation of these units a few years back. Repackaged Nady's was the criticism. Well....this unit is really impressive. Going to give it it's first run this weekend at a local pub.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

2. Default Re: Carvin EM900 Wireless IEM Transmitter....

Their website only shows it works on the 638 - 662 Mhz frequency range, which is only 24 Mhz of frequency range to work within. Compared to Sennheiser which operates in 36 Mhz blocks.

You'll just need to be really on top of what UHF signals are flying through air.

638 through 662 = UHF TV channels 42 through 45.

Default Re: Carvin EM900 Wireless IEM Transmitter....

Appreciate the heads up on that..
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's

Quote Originally Posted by PhaseShifter View Post
    Their website only shows it works on the 638 - 662 Mhz frequency range, which is only 24 Mhz of frequency range to work within. Compared to Sennheiser which operates in 36 Mhz blocks.

You'll just need to be really on top of what UHF signals are flying through air.

638 through 662 = UHF TV channels 42 through 45.
    And the 600mhz is the next on the auction block Thanks FCC

Butch

How quickly and easily can you do a frequency scan and adjust your frequencies?

Quote Originally Posted by mojogil View Post
    How quickly and easily can you do a frequency scan and adjust your frequencies?
    there is no built-in frequency scan on these units, its all manual.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Bos View Post
    And the 600mhz is the next on the auction block Thanks FCC

Butch
    Yeah I wouldn't buy anything in the 600MHz band at this time. Not until the FCC says what they are doing with that band. There is supposed to be guard bands in the 600MHz, but those will vary by city if memory serves. And even then I think it's like one TV channels' worth of band width perhaps.

Right now who knows what they will do. They may auction off the entire thing. They might use only part of it. Until they issue their rules for what is going to happen in that band, best to steer clear of buying any new gear in that band unless you're going to get your money out of the investment within the next 12 to 18 months so you don't care.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

I'm in Canada so the FCC rules do not apply here to my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
    I'm in Canada so the FCC rules do not apply here to my knowledge.
    Nope. They don't.

However, I would note that when the US got rid of 700MHz and folks in CA bought up a bunch of gear in that band from their US friends, it wasn't long after that CA followed suit and now that is worthless up there as well if I'm not mistaken.

Keep in mind that it's cell phone companies that want this bandwidth and since we kind of share the same basic wireless phone technologies (because who wants to have to switch phones when they cross the border) I wouldn't be surprised if CA follows suit not long after. How long? Who knows?
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

Good advice...