Close

Default RecordBus assignment

Hi - just bought SAC 4.0 update and installed SAWStudio 5.5.

I'm experimenting with SAW/SAC-Link and trying to assign Output 1 to both my hardware output (Dev 1, for FOH) and RecordBus 1 (for SAW).

Clicking Out1's "Out Asgn" window with the L mouse button brings up a different list from the R button, but I have not yet managed to select Dev01 and SACLink RecordBus 1 simultaneously. Each works fine on its own - either sending signal to Dev1 or SAW, but not both.

Can't see what I'm doing wrong from the Help system - where am I going wrong here?
    Alan Hames
    Leicester, UK

Default Re: RecordBus assignment

Each output fader can only service one stereo device out... so you have a few options.

1) Assign all input chans you are using to master out bus 1 and 2. Then use master out fader 1 for your main outs and then use master out fader 2 as the level for your record bus output. Each master gets assigned to one of the two out options.

2) Or... you could assign all input chans to out fader bus 9 and use that as a sub-group master. The mix will go to out 9 instead of master out 1 directly. Then you can assign out 9 to master out 1 and also master out 2. Each of the master outs gets assigned to one of the two device out options. Master out 1 to the 01-02 device and master out 2 to the record bus-1 option.

3) You could use a separate mixer for your record out assignment. Assign that mixer tap points to Pst Fdr from the FOH mixer. Then put all the faders up to 0db. Now that mix will chase your FOH mix. This option offers other benefits in case you have to adjust drums or horns or other loud acoustic instruments in the overall electronic mix. In some cases drums will be contributing loud acoustic energy in the room and may be mixed electrically lower in the mix compared to other electronic instruments... therefore a stereo recording of that mix will have drums that are weak in the overall mix once the real drums acoustic energy is gone. Using the separate mixer option allows you to raise the drum channels a few db in the recorded mix to compensate for the fact that they might be too low in the FOH mix during the live performance.

Bob L

OK, many thanks for that, Bob - some useful alternatives there, and I'll try them all - it's a valuable feature.

My problem was not understanding the one-to-one nature of the hardware output channels. Although the release notes state: "Each of the SAC Master Outs and Aux Master Outs on all mixers can now be assigned to one of 8 Record Buses as well as Device Outs", I couldn't understand from the helpfile how to set up that routing. You have now clarified the matter; it may be worth incorporating the text of your reply into the helpfile at some time.

Cheers!
    Alan Hames
    Leicester, UK

Not a bad idea... I'll mark that down.

Bob L