Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Music Sync rights

I poked around on the link yesterday and am following the bread crumbs.
    Thanks again everybody!
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Sean McCoy View Post
    Cool, I didn't know that, Dave. I only go to the ASCAP site periodically to check on my comically paltry royalties.

Well, they wouldn't be so paltry if you'd just added more cowbell, like I told you to!

After jumping through a lot of hoops, I finally wound up at Universal/Polygram and they told me Abba just plain doesn't release commercial rights for their music.

Plan "B" I guess.
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions

Well, there are certainly ABBA covers out there (eg: http://www.last.fm/music/The+Black+Sweden - these guys put ABBA lyrics over heavy metal, so they may have only licensed the words but there are definitely other people covering ABBA - Moxy Fruvous released a cover of Dancing Queen, etc.) so either they are getting ripped off all over the place or they do actually license their stuff. My guess is that they can afford the lawyers to make sure it is the later...

Cheerz,
    John

The rights to cover their music are drastically different than the rights to sync their existing recording to something else. And the process to obtain the permission to do either of them are also drastically different as we have been discussing.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

I'm reminded of my favorite tribute band name.

http://www.bjornagain.com/
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Looks like BMI has a web licensing department.
    I'm looking into that now.

What a chase scene!!!

Bill Corkery Productions

Quote Originally Posted by RBIngraham View Post
    The rights to cover their music are drastically different than the rights to sync their existing recording to something else. And the process to obtain the permission to do either of them are also drastically different as we have been discussing.
    My bad - missed the mention of sync rights somehow. Carry on.

- John

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    Looks like BMI has a web licensing department.
    I'm looking into that now.

What a chase scene!!!
    Speaking of chases -- don't forget to check with BMW and BMX, too.

As my wife, an R.N., says, "You can't be too thorough when it comes to BM's." (I never knew what she meant till now. Thank you, Bill, for helping me to understand my wife.)
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 08-11-2015 at 05:33 PM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    As my wife, an R.N., says, "You can't be too thorough when it comes to BM's." (I never knew what she meant till now. Thank you, Bill, for helping me to understand my wife.)
    Reminds me of my favorite Scrubs episode, "The Musical". I fell down laughing! Almost had to check myself into the ER!!!

Bill Corkery Productions