Close

Thread: SAW and Dante

1. Default SAW and Dante

HI I am looking at using dante PCIe accelerator, with a Yamaha RIO rack and just wondered what experience people have or running Dante controller and Yamaha r remote on the same computer running SAC, would this be best avoided? Am I in uncharted territory?

Any advice would be great, if this is as yet unknown,I am happy to experiment and report back.

2. Default Re: SAW and Dante

Nope just me then. I will let you know how it goes.

Default Re: SAW and Dante

If you can control the Rio preamps you should be good to go.

Hello,

We use SAC with Dante in a few locations with good luck.
    We have a Yamaha RIO (dante built in) feeding preamps in and outputs to House and monitors, recording. On that network we also have 24 channels of Rednet (Dante built in). Also using the Rednet pcie Dante card (128 channels.
    Since switching to Dante we have not had one dropped buffer in 3 years and our old RME had a few regularly on the same computer.
    We have Dante on other computers and we do have a few buffer drops so it is not bullet proof.
    Now we have to control the RIO and Rednets via RIOremote and rednet control, so it is not preamp controllable from within SAC.
    But the sound is excellent.

I even have 2 portable systems with pcie Dante cards and a rednet 3 (adat to Dante) where I threw old ada8000 in via adat for economic reasons and they work like a champ. Then if we needed dante feeds for streaming, broadcast, configurations it is all handled with 1 cat5 and 128 channel capability...

Someone brings their new yamaha console and we just pop it on the Dante network and send and pull channels, preamps, effect, dsp with ease...

Hope this gives one perspective...

What kind of Dante cards do you have and do you have a link to the Rednet Dante to ADAT units? Also, I am doing a show in a few weeks on a Yamaha PM5D. I don't know what digital I/O it has (Dante, MADI or otherwise). If it was Dante, I would just need one of those Dante PCIe cards to get the channels into a PC with SAW and/or SAC, right?

6. Default Re: SAW and Dante

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Burger View Post
    Hello,

We use SAC with Dante in a few locations with good luck.
    We have a Yamaha RIO (dante built in) feeding preamps in and outputs to House and monitors, recording. On that network we also have 24 channels of Rednet (Dante built in). Also using the Rednet pcie Dante card (128 channels.
    Since switching to Dante we have not had one dropped buffer in 3 years and our old RME had a few regularly on the same computer.
    We have Dante on other computers and we do have a few buffer drops so it is not bullet proof.
    Now we have to control the RIO and Rednets via RIOremote and rednet control, so it is not preamp controllable from within SAC.
    But the sound is excellent.

I even have 2 portable systems with pcie Dante cards and a rednet 3 (adat to Dante) where I threw old ada8000 in via adat for economic reasons and they work like a champ. Then if we needed dante feeds for streaming, broadcast, configurations it is all handled with 1 cat5 and 128 channel capability...

Someone brings their new yamaha console and we just pop it on the Dante network and send and pull channels, preamps, effect, dsp with ease...

Hope this gives one perspective...
    Thanks for this info.
    I already have several rio racks my Dante PCIe accelerator is about to arrive

Are you running r-remote on the same pc as SAC or a different one?

Quote Originally Posted by dbarrow View Post
    What kind of Dante cards do you have and do you have a link to the Rednet Dante to ADAT units? Also, I am doing a show in a few weeks on a Yamaha PM5D. I don't know what digital I/O it has (Dante, MADI or otherwise). If it was Dante, I would just need one of those Dante PCIe cards to get the channels into a PC with SAW and/or SAC, right?
    You can put a Dante card into a PM5d but it is very rare to find that in the field. Most will likely just use the I/O on the desk itself. There were remote mic pre for that desk that integrated directly, but the model number escapes me at the moment.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/