Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Change Slope Shape

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    OK, I get it. Still seems a bit limiting to me. But high marks for your MacGyver-esque creative innovation.
    I think I get that from my dad.

Any automation gallery entry can be inserted on a track and then offset easily to fit into any existing automation levels... simply mark the entry and use the offset function to adjust it down or up... adjusting down... you can then just delete the back few entries that bottomed out, if you want... adjusting up... then you can simply use the F key after the last entry to finish the fade down... it all takes a very few seconds to complete and fit any complex gallery entry into any session situation.

Still looking into the idea of auto matching offsets on gallery inserts... we'll see.

Also... you can build those perfect fades live during playback and then save that as a gallery entry... beats any calculated curve anyday.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Any automation gallery entry can be inserted on a track and then offset easily to fit into any existing automation levels... simply mark the entry and use the offset function to adjust it down or up... adjusting down... you can then just delete the back few entries that bottomed out, if you want... adjusting up... then you can simply use the F key after the last entry to finish the fade down... it all takes a very few seconds to complete and fit any complex gallery entry into any session situation.

Still looking into the idea of auto matching offsets on gallery inserts... we'll see.

Also... you can build those perfect fades live during playback and then save that as a gallery entry... beats any calculated curve anyday.

Bob L
    That's a couple of good points - I'll keep in mind for next time it's needed.
    Glad you're still considering an auto match!

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    The problem is that the library settings are fixed at whatever they were when you saved the file - a +5dB starting volume in a library file would require an offset revision after being inserted onto a track where the volume may already be automated to -10dB, for instance.

Same is true of any library preset, including more complex parameter files, such as one that might make adjustments to volume and pan at the same time.....

Personally, I started to use the automation library a lot until I found that more often than not, a particular library file only really worked for me when the settings were almost identical to the need. It became cumbersome to store so many slight variations after while, so I haven't used it for a long time. Storing Channel settings to File has sort of become my library equivalent (in a different way, of course) and I've managed to keep a rather large library of those files with no inconvenience - (actually, it has been quite convenient, even for automation purposes at times). Maybe I'll revisit the automation library some time and see if I can use it more effectively now that I know more about using SAW than I did back then.
    I see. I guess I've only used the Gallery for a few things, like complex mixes of automation types that I need repeatedly in a session (though I don't remember noticing the need to match the start settings of anything) and simple utility things like "plosive fixer" on the low EQ. Or maybe some other custom thing for a job that I'll need over and over.

But, really, even then I often end up writing the automation manually, because it often seems just as quick. Generally, I've never used the Automation Gallery that much.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

This pronouncement from The Godfather of Off-line Automation and Esteemed Eschewer of Hardware Control Surfaces?

No more hyperspace travel for me. I don't think my wormhole brought me back to the same universe.
    Becket, Massachusetts

I use the automation gallery often and either offset to the correct start value or mark the fade lines to the beginning value and delete the first few lines.
    " It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life … that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bill Corkery Productions
    Studio for Creative Audio

Quote Originally Posted by bcorkery View Post
    I use the automation gallery often and either offset to the correct start value or mark the fade lines to the beginning value and delete the first few lines.
    Bill -- what kinds of automation gallery entries do you find handy to keep "on the shelf?"
    Becket, Massachusetts

Bob L
    I use automation gallery extensively, so the auto match would be a very welcome addition!
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

I was asking about the slope shape for single fader changes, not Softedges. I was hoping for something like the shape mods built into the MT menu, but they don't seem to affect what I was doing. Using two fader changes, one to -15 or -20 and the next to -inf, worked well. I saved that in the Automation Gallery and applied it almost universally.

The Automation Gallery is very helpful here for plosives, as Dave mentioned, and for EQ and level matching for revisions in an older session. Beyond that, I find it easier to create new Gallery entries as needed in each session than to "fix" standard entries.

Dave, the Zen Master may have been referring to "Live" drawing of fades with a mouse. Welcome back to the home universe.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Alexander View Post
    Dave, the Zen Master may have been referring to "Live" drawing of fades with a mouse. Welcome back to the home universe.
    I thought about that, but I've never been able to do anything useful with mouse fadering during playback, so I ruled it out. My guess about how Bob created the "stock" fades that come with SAW has been that he did it all off line. But you could be right. Some of them do look like real-time fades. I just can't imagine having that kind of control with a mouse.
    Becket, Massachusetts