Close

Default Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 FYI....

Hey gang....I've been setting up a new studio area in my house in preparation for mixing a couple of live sets for a band I do FOH for.

Took the time to investigate a lot of the Waves and Slate Digital products. I also took the time to revisit my Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 license and get everything updated.

So I spent considerable hours over the past few weeks trying a lot of these things out....various combinations plugins, Mix Bus Chains, Mastering tools etc.

The Slate Digital Virtual Tape Machine sounds great..but it seems to have stability issues with SAW. It works half the time as it should and crashes SAW the other half. However....it's very stable once run thru VEPro5 Server and networked on a separate computer.

However. the folks at Vienna Instruments have released 2 updates to VEPro5 in the last month. And these updates have changed things a bit. They can cause SAW to crash whereas the earlier version of the softweare did not.

There is a work-a-round. So what I've discovered is this....

You can run as many instances of the VEPro5 plugin on SAW Aux return Channels, Output Channels and Output chanels configured as Sub Groups.

You CANNOT run the VEPRO5 plugin on an Input Channel.

If you do....and you stop playback....when you restart playback the plugin will not pass audio. If you want to use VEPro to run an FX on a single Input channel....say a lead vocal....you must route it through an Output chanel / Sub Group and apply the processing from there.

Hope that helps anyone using this great tool.
    Last edited by Jeff Scott; 11-16-2015 at 08:07 AM.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

Default Re: Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 FYI....

thanks for the investigative work.

Sometimes updates are not better. If you still have the older version of the VE plugins that don't crash, why not keep using them.

As long as they are working, seems there isn't any reason to upgrade.

As they say, if its not broke, don't fix it.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Default Re: Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 FYI....

The other thing about Vienna Instruments is they only seem to archive the next to last update. Mine was about 2 years old. Perhaps they can send me the "old" one .....but this is a workable solution....so I'll run with it.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM