Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default SAW Sub group / Multi Main outs....?

I have an question as to whether it's possible to achieve this work flow....

I've created some subgroups for Drums, Guitars, Backing Vox etc....so that I can apply specific Sub Group Mix Buss processing unique to each type of Instrument/ group. I am currently sending these Sub Groups, as well as individual instrument tracks, to 3 outputs: (1) feeds my main Studio monitors, (1) feeds a headphone output and (1) feeds a set of consumer grade Book shelf speakers that I use to check my mix against.

I am Using Mix Bus Processing on these main outputs...Compression, EQ and Tape emulation. In order to hear what the processing is doing I need to apply the same Mix Buss processing to each output...which obviously is causing a hit on the CPU and RAM usage.

I also want to mix against several Reference Tracks similar in style and tone to the genre of the track I'm mixing.

However I do not want to have the Mix Buss processing affect the Reference tracks...they've already been thru that process as part of their recording.

So.....What I want to do is to be able to take my individual tracks and the Drum Bus, Guitar Bus , Vox etc....and send that to (1) Master Subgroup fader.....to which I will apply all my Mix Bus Output processing.

I would then like to send THAT master subgroup to my 3 Monitor/ Speaker / Headphone outputs. I would also send the Reference Tracks directly to the Monitor/ Speaker Headphone outputs...bypassing any Mix Buss Processing.

It;s this last routing setup that I'm suspecting may not be possible within SAW.

Your advice and perspective would be appreciated.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

Default Re: SAW Sub group / Multi Main outs....?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
    Your advice and perspective would be appreciated.
    Hi Jeff,

I'd suggest you use Totalmix to route and control your 3 main outputs (monitors, headphones, bookshelf speakers). Route your subgroups to a single master bus (typically output 1 in SAW) with your mixbus processing applied only once (freeing up CPU). In Totalmix route that bus to the 3 outs that are your monitoring feeds.

Start using Totalmix as your monitor controller and take that burden off SAW.

That's what I was thinking I'll have to do...only I'm currently running thru a Focusrite Preamp but I can do the same with it's internal routing matrix.

Thanks for helping to clarify the thought process.....
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's

You can do this.

Subgroups 9,10,11,12 get assigned to your master outs 01,02,03 (monitor, headphones, etc)

Your reference tracks get assigned directly to your master outs 01,02,03

Am I missing something?
    Last edited by cgrafx; 11-27-2015 at 12:56 PM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

The mix buss processing on the Master outputs....I want the reference tracks to bypass the processing.

The mix buss processing on the Master outputs....I want the reference tracks to bypass the processing.
    move your mix buss processing to a subgroup.

use 10, 11, 12, xxx... for your mix subgroups (keys, vox, drums, etc)

assign those to subgroup 9 and add your mix buss processing

assign 9 -> masters 1, 2, 3 (your headphones, monitors, near fields, etc)

Assign your reference audio channels directly to masters 1, 2, 3
    Philip G.

OK...I've got Outputs 8 thru 12 as Sub Groups (Drums, Vox, GTR's etc.) and I've assigned them to Output 7. Out 7 is assigned to Outputs 1,2 and 3 which comprise my Main Studio monitors, Reference speaker and headphone.

When I run the track I get the following error " Output Track 8 assigned to an Invalid Destination"

Are you thinking of SAC , where you can do just what you described? or have you made this work with SAW?

I've also turned the Wave Device Outs on and off in the Audio Setup and it doesn't affect it.

Perhaps Bob could chime in here to verify whether or not I can do what I'm hoping to do.

SAW can't assign subgroups to subgroups, from the helpfile..

Sub-Group Output

If an Out Assign switch not matching the current Output channel number is engaged, the channel becomes a sub-group output and will re-route its signal data back to the selected destination channel. The selected destination chan must be a Direct Device output chan, not another sub out chan. You may assign a sub to multiple Direct Device out chans at the same time.

Assigning a sub out to another sub out chan will cause a warning message when playback is activated.
    Shawn...

OK...I've got Outputs 8 thru 12 as Sub Groups (Drums, Vox, GTR's etc.) and I've assigned them to Output 7. Out 7 is assigned to Outputs 1,2 and 3 which comprise my Main Studio monitors, Reference speaker and headphone.

When I run the track I get the following error " Output Track 8 assigned to an Invalid Destination"

Are you thinking of SAC , where you can do just what you described? or have you made this work with SAW?

I've also turned the Wave Device Outs on and off in the Audio Setup and it doesn't affect it.

Perhaps Bob could chime in here to verify whether or not I can do what I'm hoping to do.
    Sorry, I've gotten so used to SAC I thought this was possible in SAW as well, but the master fader/Subgrouping is not configured in the same way.

I don't see any way you can do this directly in SAW.

It says you have SAC in your profile, why not use that as your monitoring console, you can do exactly what your asking since the routing is more flexible.
    Last edited by cgrafx; 11-28-2015 at 12:22 AM.
    Philip G.

If you don't mind spending a few $ then there's this, which I've found to be very useful:

https://www.samplemagic.com/details/184/magic-ab