Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Plugin Latency Correction....

Is there a limit to how many samples SAW will compensate for before starting playback?

Is there a limit to how many latency causing plugins can be used in a session?

Can I put a Latency causing Plugin on an individual channel and then put another Latency causing plugin on a Sub Group that the Channel is fed to? Will the Latency Compensation take this into consideration?

I'm working with Waves and Slate Digital plugins in a session and was getting some weird behavior. It sounded to me as if the Auto compensation was not starting on occasion. The Drums or guitar would be out of sync with the rest of the tracks. It did not do it all the time and it seems to be when using instances of the Slate VTM Tape plugin (1750 sample latency).

I am trying a LOT of different things and combinations of plugins on the session. I don't know if it was a specific combination of plugins or what.

Knowing how SAW responds to a large sample compensation might help with the troubleshooting.
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

Default Re: Plugin Latency Correction....

Its been a long time since I wrote the latency compensation code so I do not remember all the deep details... but... the latency value would be a DWORD value so the limit would be in the 4 gigs of samples range... should be enough to handle most reasonable situations.

But remember that latency compensation is complex especially where automation and bypass functions are involved.... so simplifying things would be the best way to go.

Bob L

I haven't applied any automation to the specific tracks involved though there was automation written for a sax track that did not have any plugins on it. It was fader automation and did not bypass any FX channels.

OK...I'll take another look at the Sub group channel and test that out.

Most of the issues revolved around the afore mentioned Tape Saturation plugin.....and I may decide just to print that directly to the track and then move on with the mixing. Most of the rest are Zero latency plugins.

Bob....when you say "4 gigs" how does that translate? Do I look at my RAM usage before and after applying plugins? is there a Sample to Gig conversion I can use?
    Last edited by Jeff Scott; 11-30-2015 at 09:56 AM.
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's

Nothing you need to do about the 4 gigs... that just means that the variable can handle up to 4 gigs worth of sample latency before running into its limit.

Bob L

Latent plugins in the prefader position will produce errors in automation on those channels, tracks & subs. Best to use post fader and use zero latency plugins if needed in prefader positions.

I wish this could be improved.
    Michael McInnis Productions

When you say "errors" Michael....what specifically would happen? I can see that automation relating to the FX channels being bypassed would be an issue....but would that extend to ANY automation...say Fader automation?

In what way does the Post FX position reduce the error?

The error is the automation plays at the wrong time.

The automation is not latency compensated. In the post postiton the automation has already occured so there is no latency error. Yes, any automation can become shifted.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    The automation is not latency compensated. In the post postiton the automation has already occured so there is no latency error. Yes, any automation can become shifted.
    To clarify: Do you mean "Any automation can become shifted" **only** on the specific track on which the latency plug is patched in the "Pre" position, right?
    Carl G.
    Voice Talent/Audio Producer
    www.creativetrax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Carl G. View Post
    To clarify: Do you mean "Any automation can become shifted" **only** on the specific track on which the latency plug is patched in the "Pre" position, right?
    Latency compensation has to shift the timing of *all* other tracks to match the timing delay of the track affected by the plugin. So, pre-fade automation timing of all tracks will be affected if there are any latency-causing plugins patched pre-fade.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com