Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default just picked up a 10.1 tablet for SAC Remote

I've been using my acer Aspire One netbook as a remote for SAC for a few years now. It works great, but wanted to improve the reliability of the WiFi connection.

So I purchased an EnGenius ENS500EXT High-Powered, Long-Range 5 GHz Wireless N300 Outdoor Access Point.

Unfortunately the Aspire One is 2.4GHz only, so I was seeking options. Apparently the wireless card is actually replaceable, but I figured I'd check out some tablets while I was looking.

After doing some research I found a Lenovo 10.1 Tablet for $190.

• Windows 8 (10 supported)
    • 1920 x 1200 IPS screen
    • 10-point multi-touch
    • Detachable Keyboard Dock
    • Micro SD Card Slot
    • weight 1.28 lbs

Its light weight, but can easily be made into a full mix station by docking to the Keyboard Base and connecting to a full-size monitor (via the mini-hdmi port).

I'm thinking this is going to make a very nice SAC remote.

I'm definitely looking forward to playing with the new touch options in SAC 4.x
    Last edited by cgrafx; 08-24-2015 at 01:55 AM.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Default Re: just picked up a 10.1 tablet for SAC Remote

You should enjoy that. A few suggestions for maximizing the touch experience.

Your screen res is great, but things will be very small to work with.

Consider keeping the screen scaling at 100% to fully use the 1920 x 1200 res. Then use the Windows display options to change the menu text size to 11 or 13 point size... this will make touching menu items easier.

In SAC 4.0b select the Touch option for Win 8 multitouch. Use the Touch mode to keep the faders from jumping to your touch position. Try setting the large titlebar option. Adjust your F-Keys to fit... Use the Large Touch Panel and make a few F-keys with the Touch View spread out to 6 or 8 chans.

Also try an F-key with the F-Mixer spread across the screen with 1 or 2 touch view chans on the left... this way, you can easily see many chans and touch one from the F-Mixer, then the Touch View chan will chase and allow quick access to chan sections.

Have fun.

Bob L

Hi.

what's the Lenovo tablet model? have you tested with SAC remote yet?

Quote Originally Posted by J. Bacelar View Post
    Hi.

what's the Lenovo tablet model? have you tested with SAC remote yet?
    Its a Mixx2 10.1

I haven't had a chance to use it live yet. We tried to get the remote working at our last gig, but I hadn't swapped out our wireless access point with the high-gain 5ghz model yet and I couldn't get a stable connection at 2.4ghz. System kept dropping the remote and would freeze so we finally gave up and just mixed from the side of the stage.

I did get a nice touch configuration going on the Lenovo that tested well at our shop. I really like the fact that there is a full keyboard, but you can still pick the unit up and use it as a tablet. It just snaps onto the keyboard with Magnets.

I did Keys for vocal channels, Guitar/Keyboard Channels, Aux Returns, and Master and Submixes.

Only real issue is the display is not the brightest so was difficult to see in daylight.

Last edited by cgrafx; 09-08-2015 at 06:10 PM.
    Philip G.

5. Default Re: just picked up a 10.1 tablet for SAC Remote

Hi Phillip

How did you get the entire touch mixer channel strip to show on the screen?
    I have an 11" tablet using 1366x768 screen resolution and it cuts off thetop of the channel. Any idea's?

Hal

I was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hclague View Post
    Hi Phillip

How did you get the entire touch mixer channel strip to show on the screen?
    I have an 11" tablet using 1366x768 screen resolution and it cuts off thetop of the channel. Any idea's?

Hal
    Because the Mixx2 10.1 display resolution is 1920 x 1200 set to a scaled up setting so it appears to SAC as 1536x960.
    Philip G.

On smaller resolution screens just make two F-Keys... one showing the faders and mute and solo switches and another showing the top zone switches... simple and effective.

Or use the R-Button scroll up feature to reach the top zone switches when needed just like scrolling the Zoom Mixer view up to reach the rest of the switches and controls.

Bob L

how about a tablet size version of Levelizer and EQ,even Delay? it would be so useful specially delay for accurate setup of delayed PA systems...thanks for your efforts Bob!
    Hosts:Gigabite MB 2 Gb.RAM E5400 RME 9632 Win XP SP III /the same but w/Q6600 and digi 9652-ada 8K and Apogee Mini Me via AES/EBU,Traveler MK1,MBox 2
    Remotes:Sony Vaio and generic Centrino 1.73-Dv-Link Router and USB Sticks, SAC & SSLite all native RML labs Plugins.

Yup... for now... I use the Windows magnifier applet on my tablet... works great... pin it to the taskbar and you can use it anytime to magnify the screen so any of the displays can be easily touch operated.

Bob L