Close

Default Sudden sync issues??

I am having some weird issues. My 3 ADA 8000's sound like they have some digital distortion.

It all started when I tried to add my Profire into the mix. All Pre's running ADAT into my RME Digi9636. If anyone has experience with a Profire2626 setup this way please chime in.

First run with this setup the Profire sounded funny but ADA's sounded fine. Changed to 44.1 and now they all sounded fine. Restart and now all Pre's sound horrible.

I am know trying to get back to my original setup for a few show until I have downtime for further testing.

Here are pics of my settings in Digi. Please check that I am setup correct.
    ADA's are set to slave.

Default Re: Sudden sync issues??

Quote Originally Posted by Haysus View Post
    Here are pics of my settings in Digi. Please check that I am setup correct. ADA's are set to slave.
    So, with the setup in the screenshots, you have removed the ProFire and have the 3 x ADA's connected with ADAT IN and OUT? The RME cards are internally connected with a SPDIF jumper cable? Do you have the distortion with this setup?

I'm not sure you want 'Monitoring' checked on card 1... IIRC that mirrors the ADAT inputs of the card directly to the ADAT outputs (bypassing Totalmix). Otherwise, the settings look fine to me.

Naturally Digital;208851]So, with the setup in the screenshots, you have removed the ProFire and have the 3 x ADA's connected with ADAT IN and OUT? The RME cards are internally connected with a SPDIF jumper cable? Do you have the distortion with this setup?
    Yes, Profire is disconnected.

Yes the jumper has been in for five years. I apologize for not stating earlier that this was just a rack reorder plus an addition. Host was not touched besides the .toslinks.

The distortion sounds grainy and digitized on all of my outputs and inputs.

I'm not sure you want 'Monitoring' checked on card 1... IIRC that mirrors the ADAT inputs of the card directly to the ADAT outputs (bypassing Totalmix). Otherwise, the settings look fine to me.
    I will switch that off and retest. I don't have Totalmix. Should I have it and is it compatible with XP SP3?

Quote Originally Posted by Haysus View Post
    I will switch that off and retest. I don't have Totalmix. Should I have it and is it compatible with XP SP3?
    Ah, my bad... I forgot you were running the Digi9636 and not one of the HDSP models.

No, you don't need Totalmix as it is meant for the generation of cards following yours.

Looking forward to finding out if turning off Monitoring solves the issue for you...

you can test the ADA8000's independently by connecting the ADAT in to ADAT out as a pass through analog preamp. If its distorted, than you have a problem with the ADA's. If not, than something else is not working properly.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Hi,

I'm not common with this cards, but shouldn't be there any mode selected in the SPDIF out section of card 1?

Tomy
    3 * TIO1608 + AIC-128 + X-Touch + Dante -> AES + DADC-144DT

SATlive is my measurement software
    DIN 15905-5 (German SPL Limit)

7. Default Re: Sudden sync issues??

Quote Originally Posted by TomyN View Post
    Hi,

I'm not common with this cards, but shouldn't be there any mode selected in the SPDIF out section of card 1?

Tomy
    I have a similar setup with two Digi cards and I have Card 1 as the master with Non-Audio selected as the SPDIF Out selection. But if you take a look at card 2 it is seeing and locking to the sync from the card 1 SPDIF, so I'm not sure that is a problem.

Switched "Monitoring" off and have done more testing. No distortion. Not sure if that was the cause or not. I was also having output issues.

Long story short I now have 1 Profire 2626 and 3 ADA 8000s. One odd issue I found was the my ADAT out is in the first port on the sound card and the input is in the last port on the second card. This is the only way I can get audio to pass on all channels.

Strange.

I have repeatedly tested in every way I can think of and it seems to be solid. I have new toslink cables in the mail just for precaution. The old ones are big clunky heavy steel braided. Not very good for traveling.

Thanks for the help.