Close

Default SYstem rebuild - Win10 anyone?

Is anyone having better luck with win 10 over XP,7,8? I want to rebuild my rig with a newer PC and am looking for suggested hardware / graphics card (or integrated video) to go with. I really want a SSD and have had issues using them with XP.

Thanks gang -
    Eric

Default Re: SYstem rebuild - Win10 anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric White View Post
    Is anyone having better luck with win 10 over XP,7,8? I want to rebuild my rig with a newer PC and am looking for suggested hardware / graphics card (or integrated video) to go with. I really want a SSD and have had issues using them with XP.

Thanks gang -
    Eric
    I've been running an SSD for many years on XP. What sorts of issues have you had?
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

3. Default Re: SYstem rebuild - Win10 anyone?

Phillip,

I've waned to do a SSD for some time as well but have read several places that XP doesn't play well. Was yours just plug and play or do you have some computer skills or background that allowed you to tweak things to make it work?

I am also using SSD just plug and play with XP

Butch

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarkeys.com View Post
    Phillip,

I've waned to do a SSD for some time as well but have read several places that XP doesn't play well. Was yours just plug and play or do you have some computer skills or background that allowed you to tweak things to make it work?
    it was plug and play. biggest concern is about garbage collection (trim) support, but many of the newer drives have that built into the ssd firmware and handle it in their own.

I still use a regular spinner hdd for disk storage/recording.
    Philip G.

6. Default Re: SYstem rebuild - Win10 anyone?

If either one of you guys know the model # of the drives please list it. If it works for you I'm not going to take a chance on anything if I don't have too.

If either one of you guys know the model # of the drives please list it. If it works for you I'm not going to take a chance on anything if I don't have too.
    SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 2.5" 128GB SATA III
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147192
    Philip G.

8. Default Re: SYstem rebuild - Win10 anyone?

Thank you.

Phillip,

Same here. I imaged the hard drive, restored it to the SSD and then swamped them. No problems at all.

I also recommend the Samsung Evo series. I have them in Win XP, Vista and Win 8 systems I use for performance applications. No problems at all.

With anything older than Win 7 you should run a manual TRIM process on occasion. But that's a simple procedure which Samsung includes a utility for. And for a system that's being used for something like SAC, it takes all of 4 or 5 minutes tops for it complete that task. (probably half of that most days) I usually just run the TRIM process at the start of every project, since once a show it open there are very few files being rewritten every day.
    Richard B. Ingraham
    RBI Sound
    http://www.rbisound.com
    Email Based User List: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sac_users/

FWIW, I have been using Win10 for a month no problems. I had two SSDs, i7-4790K, ASUS Z97-A with onboard graphics.