Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SAC remote

Default Re: SAC remote

Because Windows phone isn't x86. Yes you could get Windows tablets of an appropriate size and screen res for the musicians but... The benefit of many other systems is either a native android/iOS app or a web app that allows adjustment of monitor mixes. That's something that works on the smart phones band members already have.

you could just pass around a tablet or two. Use the on screen fkeys to select the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Kijonka View Post
    The SAC computer user rights MON (all monitors) running at some tablet is also good idea. But during the live performance, some musicians would appreciate quick access - only a few sliders on their phone LCD with acces only to their monitor MONx.
    everybody's phone is different. different resolution, different processor speed, etc, etc.

I guarantee you that as awesome as it sounds, "just pop open an app on your phone and change your settings", in reality its not as simple as that.

You can't view more than a few channels on a phone, so now your fumbling around trying to hold your phone, paging through faders trying to find the channel you want to change.

This has been discussed many times, do a search on SAC remote and android.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattseymour View Post
    Because Windows phone isn't x86. Yes you could get Windows tablets of an appropriate size and screen res for the musicians but... The benefit of many other systems is either a native android/iOS app or a web app that allows adjustment of monitor mixes. That's something that works on the smart phones band members already have.

you could just pass around a tablet or two. Use the on screen fkeys to select the mix.
    Ah. Then it IS possible. I didn't get that till now.

Of course, yes, it's true that Windows devices aren't nearly as ubiquitous as Androids and iPhones.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    everybody's phone is different. different resolution, different processor speed, etc, etc.

I guarantee you that as awesome as it sounds, "just pop open an app on your phone and change your settings", in reality its not as simple as that.

You can't view more than a few channels on a phone, so now your fumbling around trying to hold your phone, paging through faders trying to find the channel you want to change.

This has been discussed many times, do a search on SAC remote and android.
    I get 8 faders at a time on my 5-inch-or-so Android phone screen. It's not so bad. And the app I use has customizable layers, so that can help a lot. Different mixer system, though. I'm guessing SAC Remote would be comparable?
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    I get 8 faders at a time on my 5-inch-or-so Android phone screen. It's not so bad. And the app I use has customizable layers, so that can help a lot. Different mixer system, though. I'm guessing SAC Remote would be comparable?
    Dave...what system are you using ....if you don't mind my asking?

AMP? or Harrison Mix Buss? Reaper?
    -SAC,SAWStudioLite,Midi Workshop,SATLive, Reaper
    -SAC Host (24 channel): Various Laptops via Digiface into APPSYS Adat extenders into (3) ADA8000,(2) BCF2000 controllers, 1x64 resolution
    -SAC Host (32 Channel): Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz , 4 Gig DDR/800mz RAM, ASUS PK5PL-CM MotherBd,XP Pro SP3, RME Raydat, (4) ADA8000's
    -SAC Remote: Various Tablets via AMPED Router
    -SAW Host : Asus Laptop, i7 12g RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
    Dave...what system are you using ....if you don't mind my asking?

AMP? or Harrison Mix Buss? Reaper?
    Mixing Station, which works with certain Behringer (X32 series)/Midas (M32 series) and A&H (Qu series) digital mixers. There's a FINE mode that allows fine adjustment of faders and knobs that's pretty handy on little screens.
    Becket, Massachusetts

I was programming in some development environments for mobile phones (for example Xamarin):
    https://xamarin.com/platform

The application can be written in C # for iOS, Android, Mac and Windows. There is no problem to create an application to work with any size of LCD screen. You can use predefined library functions, such as TCP / IP protocol to communicate with SAC.

I do not think that the development of such applications would take too long.
    Last edited by Jan Kijonka; 02-15-2016 at 04:06 AM.

We should probably be realistic, and clear about this: for various reasons this is not going to happen.

Bob has always been clear that SAC is what it is. If it suits you then great. If it doesn't then use something else. No matter how frustrating that may be, that's how things are.

If being able to work remotely with a small portable device that doesn't run x86 windows is important to you, there are alternatives. From almost any hardware console to other software offerings available.

All that said, there might be a public API for SAC one day or someone talented could reverse engineer the remote protocol and build an Android remote app. The key thing is that if SAC works for you today then fine. If it doesn't quite fit then either you have to compromise or look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattseymour View Post
    We should probably be realistic, and clear about this: for various reasons this is not going to happen.

Bob has always been clear that SAC is what it is. If it suits you then great. If it doesn't then use something else. No matter how frustrating that may be, that's how things are.

If being able to work remotely with a small portable device that doesn't run x86 windows is important to you, there are alternatives. From almost any hardware console to other software offerings available.

All that said, there might be a public API for SAC one day or someone talented could reverse engineer the remote protocol and build an Android remote app. The key thing is that if SAC works for you today then fine. If it doesn't quite fit then either you have to compromise or look elsewhere.
    This is a great point. It is why I haven't upgraded to the latest version and can't see myself doing so in the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by mojogil View Post
    This is a great point. It is why I haven't upgraded to the latest version and can't see myself doing so in the foreseeable future.

On the other hand if your still actively using SAC, then the $100 is well worth the upgrade just for the other added functionality that has been added, even if you'll never get the API or Android/IOS support.

Its still a damn fine tool just as it is, even if it doesn't fit perfectly into your specific idea of what it should be.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.